2147024894 - The system cannot find the file specified.RSS

12 replies

Last post Sep 22, 2008 03:56 PM by zdenek

• 2147024894 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Sep 16, 2008 07:58 PM|bbxrider|LINK

winxp pro, iis5.0 

the subject is ther error message when trying to open a .mdb with adodb in a test site, the app works ok in its production site, but its a hosted and can't see file properties there.

strDbConnection = "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & _

"data source=" & testmdbpath & "\volunteer.mdb;"

set cn=server.createobject("adodb.connection")

cn.open strDbConnection

at first the file was in a dir under inetpub/wwwroot/mdbDir/myDB.mdb, i gave the internet guest account read+write permissions for both the folder and the .mdb

somebody suggested that permissions are hard to deal with for anything under inetpub, to try a different location, so i tried that with dir first level under c: with same permissions

but still getting same error?? am i giving the permissions to the wrong user? or any suggestions what to try?

thanks, bob

• Re: 2147024894 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Sep 17, 2008 08:43 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

What is testmdbpath set to?

Sep 17, 2008 11:27 AM|bbxrider|LINK

thanks for the reply

testmdbpath="c:\backup"

to build the path i use

strDbConnection = "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & _

"data source=" & testmdbpath & "\volunteer.mdb;"

so the final path should be "c:\backup\volunteer.mdb", which should be right?

and just fyi , i'm using this funky "\volunteer.mdb" because in production there is a mappath to get the path and the way the mappath is invoked it does not return the "\" at the end of the directory path string. i'm just trying to resolve this now in a test area. actually since i'm getting the same cannot find file specified when my target mdb is under inetpub, i would prefer to solve the whole issue to get the permissions right in my test area when the mdb is in a dir under inetpub. but i'm just trying to get a starting point here.

another related question: if i have permissions right to get write access in a directory somewhere other than under inetpub, shouldn't the same permissions work for a dir under inetpub, if inheritance is disabled for that directory?

Sep 17, 2008 09:04 PM|bbxrider|LINK

i guess its all relevant but nothing real specific.

i googled the error message and from that i think it may be a dll problem.

i double and triple checked that permissions. i even gave the iusr.... account full control just to be sure all the permissions are covered. and to test further, i can open the mdb via adodb with a vb.net program in visual studio, but with that i'm running under an admin user. the vb.net is  similar except the open is

cn = CreateObject("adodb.connection") instead of

cn = server.CreateObject("adodb.connection")  and the error is not on the create object but the cn.open

since this is xp instead of sbs, perhaps somethings wrong there? 

Sep 18, 2008 09:02 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

Just to confirm - you're allowing anonymous access to the ASP page that runs this code?

Sep 18, 2008 10:29 AM|bbxrider|LINK

thanks for the many replies

yes anon access is checked and in that same panel the iusr_machineName is the designated account, that account is the one given read+write permissions to both the file and the file folder?

there is a great tool called depends.exe (and its not for seniors

Sep 19, 2008 03:30 AM|bbxrider|LINK

sorry about the unfinished post

there is a great tool called depends.exe [and its not for seniors :-) ] that lists out all the dll's used  vb programs. is there any such tool for asp programs. ?

Sep 19, 2008 05:32 PM|zdenek|LINK

I'm not sure which language you are using in your ASP but remember that \v sequence in your volunteer may be understood as an escape sequence for vertical TAB character. Try "\\volunteer" and C:\\ in your strings and see if that works

z

Sep 20, 2008 03:19 AM|bbxrider|LINK

its vb script,

<%@ language=vbScript %>

the same code has worked before on both a sbs2000 and a hosted website machine.

this program also writes a daily text log file, so it both creates and appends to it. it also creates a pdf file from a utility, creates writes a html and vcf file. the big difference, is, these are all text files except of course for the pdf from the utility. so it has the right code, paths, etc to write to files. it seems the problem is writing, adding rows to a table, to a mdb file. to me this implies a different set of dll's than text files. this is why i'm thinking its a misleading message, and its not my target mdb.

Sep 22, 2008 08:46 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

The "\" issue raised by the previous poster is not relevant in your case.

What's the exact/full error message you're getting?

• Rovastar Rovastar

5491 Posts

MVP

Re: 2147024894 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Sep 22, 2008 09:18 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Can you access the path database directly with no variables in the path?

80070002 (2147024894 decimal) errors seem to be malformed path access or something else access the resource in many cases.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Sep 22, 2008 03:32 PM|bbxrider|LINK

thanks for the continuing replies,

the full error message is: "2147024894 - The system cannot find the file specified", i get that from err.number and err.description

i tried a hardcoded path, and no difference. to test further, i am trying a cdo message, and  get the exact same error for a cdo.message send, the exact same error as the cn.open, see prev posts for that code

Set objMessage = server.CreateObject("CDO.Message"); objmessage.subject = "subject text", etc, etc, objmessage.send

so with the cdo send error, it sure seems some how the asp dll's (or something similar) are not getting accessed. my iis is pretty vanilla with the default isapi configs for asp, i have all the latest and greatest xp updates installed. but some dll functionality is getting through, as i mentioned before i can create and write text files in the same dir where the mdb is. the following works ok.

set flog= server.createobject("scripting.filesystemobject")
    set l = flog.OpenTextFile(phsDataPath & "\" & dtework & "volunteer.log",ForAppending,true)

this is really  driving me nuts.

bob

Sep 22, 2008 03:56 PM|zdenek|LINK

Any chance that you moved the file to the folder? Moving file does not override permissions. You could check the security or you could simply do this to get the correct permissions: 1) rename file to test.mdb 2) copy file in the directory (you'll get something like Copy of test.mdb) 3) the new file now inherits permissions properly, rename to appropriate name and try again z