"Origin server" for Windows Media Services cache/proxy featureRSS

5 replies

Last post Jul 10, 2008 08:20 AM by MariusCG

• "Origin server" for Windows Media Services cache/proxy feature

Jun 23, 2008 09:43 AM|MariusCG|LINK

Does any one know how to set the "origin server" for the WMS cache/proxy feature? I spent a lot of time searching on Google (someone with the same problem: http://www.ureader.com/msg/13971045.aspx) and reading the Microsoft documentation (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/cache_proxy.aspx), I understand how a cache/proxy server should work, but I seem to bee missing this tiny little bit of information: how exactly do you set the origin server that you do the caching/proxing for?

I would greatly appreciate any hint.

Thank you,

MariusG

• Re: "Origin server" for Windows Media Services cache/proxy feature

Jul 01, 2008 05:28 PM|vsood|LINK

Hi Mauris

You do not need to set the Origin server. The request from the client will have origin server in the request itself.

Let us take the example below:

• <div mce_keep="true">OriginServer: Origin.microsoft.com</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">CacheServer: Cache.microsoft.com</div>

The client will request http://Origin.microsoft.com/a.wmv. In this case the player (let us assume Windows Media Player), will have have the proxy configured to cache.microsoft.com. Thus the request will be routed through cache.microsoft.com. Once the request reaches Cahe.microsoft.com the WMS installed there will figure out that the request is actually for Origin.microsoft.com  by looking at the request URL and re-route appropriately.

Please read article on how to set Proxy in Windows Media Player: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260023. This can also be done by using Group Policy if you need to set this for a big enterprise. 

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Vishal

windows media services

Jul 02, 2008 05:03 AM|MariusCG|LINK

Hi! Thank you for your answer, but I don't think this is the solution for my problem.

A cache server should work like this: when the user requires some VoD content, the server looks up in its cache index to see if the content is cached from the origin server; if it is cached and it hasn't expired yet, then it starts streaming it to the client; if it's not cached yet or it has expired, then it caches it from the origin server, and starts streaming it to the client. This has nothing to do with the user's media player. More information here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/cache_proxy.aspx#ondemand .

The only problem is that I can't find out how to set the "origin server". The only method that showed some results was using the "Prestuff" feature of the WMS cache/proxy plugin - but that doesn't help very much, I don't want to manually cache every VoD content that I have.

MariusG

Jul 02, 2008 04:56 PM|vsood|LINK

Hi Maurius

What you mention is correct. I omitted explanation of caching in the context of my previous reply to keep it simple.

In the previous email I sent, the cache.microsoft.com will look at the request client sent (origin.microsoft.com/a.wmv) and look for the HOST hearder in the request. It will then see if an entry pertaining to that is already cached and do the exact thing you mention above.

However, there is no way to say what is the origin server, the original request should have that. The request will be routed through proxy server based on player's proxy settings.

Regards
    Vishal

windows media services

Jul 02, 2008 05:18 PM|prakashd|LINK

Looks like you want to use WMS a reverse proxy.  When using a proxy as a forward proxy you do not specify an origin server. The client as part of the request specifies te origin Server. This means that there can be more than one origin server.

When using WMS a reverse proxy you specify the origin server to route the requests. The clients connect to the proxy and the proxy routes all requests directly to the single origin server.

Jul 10, 2008 08:20 AM|MariusCG|LINK

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the client's media player - the client shouldn't need to mangle with the player's settings just to be able to watch my audio-video streams.

What I need is the proxy server to be able to replicate or cache the streams from the origin server.

I was able to make work the proxy part using the "Reverse proxy" functionality of the WMS. I set in the origin server, and when a client connects to a Broadcast publishing point, the proxy server automatically makes a connection to the origin server and starts streaming; if more clients connect to the same publishing point, the same connection is used to the origin server; this way, the bandwidth cost between the origin and the proxy server is reduced to the minimum.

I am still not able to use the caching feature - I don't know why, but it won't create any cache on the disk (except using the "Prestuff" feature).