We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

FTP site via URL [Answered]RSS

12 replies

Last post Sep 02, 2008 10:40 AM by goody3335

• FTP site via URL

Jun 09, 2008 09:14 AM|goody3335|LINK

I can get to my ftp site using ftp://ip but how do you use a URL...either www. or ftp.?  Do I actually have to set up a web site and enable FTP publishing or can I just do it from an FTP site?  I only have an FTP site set up now.  Thanks for your help! 

web site www URL

• Re: FTP site via URL

Jun 09, 2008 09:40 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

You need to register a domain name and setup your DNS.  Do you have a domain name yet?

Jun 09, 2008 09:55 AM|goody3335|LINK

Yes, I have a domain set up already.  I have the server in DNS, too.  Do I set up an alias for the web site in DNS?  I tried that, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

DNS alias

Jun 09, 2008 10:08 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

Create a CNAME record for either www or ftp and point it at "@" (or your ip address).

Jul 02, 2008 03:33 PM|IISNoob|LINK

You could also do a redirect, but its not always as effective.

Jul 02, 2008 03:55 PM|goody3335|LINK

Thanks for your input.  I ended up just creating a website with FTP publishing. 

Jul 03, 2008 10:54 PM|steve schofield|LINK

Is this IIS 7 if you added the FTP binding to the site.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Jul 05, 2008 12:42 PM|goody3335|LINK

Yes, IIS 7 on a Server 2008 machine.

Aug 28, 2008 10:50 AM|matecra|LINK

Hi,

i seem to have similar difficult:

i have windows datacenter 2008

i want upload file on server, but without domain is it possible? i use this server only for storage.

thanks

matec

Aug 28, 2008 11:55 AM|goody3335|LINK

Is the server an ftp server?  Are you able to access it via a browser or command line ftp?

Aug 29, 2008 01:54 PM|matecra|LINK

Hello,

sorry what i have to digit on the browser: number of server? it asked me a password but seem do not connect.

really i do not know if is an ftp server, i created following the steps of iis6 guides and created an ftp user, an ftp new website and an user isolation, but when put this data on my ftpsurfer server do not connect. It do not give an error page, but simple do not connect.

Sep 01, 2008 07:04 AM|matecra|LINK

Hello,

some troubleinstalling iis7:

1) if i install iis7 from add role the installation install also iis6, and in this case my iis7 turn in iis6, so i can not follow the guides, because different wizard.

2) if i install iis7 from add role without install manage,enmt console of iis6, the wizard of iis7 look like the guides installation of iis7 web site. In this case i install ftp services from web page of iis, and on control panel ftp pubblishing services are installed, but when i look for it on the features of iis7 the ftp services is not installed.

Thank you for any help

matec

Sep 02, 2008 10:40 AM|goody3335|LINK

I recommend starting your own thread, because this has nothing to do with the problem I had previously.