We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Trouble with Linkpoint API in IIS7RSS

21 replies

Last post Sep 14, 2011 12:47 PM by dgoranov

• Trouble with Linkpoint API in IIS7

Apr 18, 2008 12:34 AM|malevolence|LINK

I'm migrating several sites from a Windows 2003, IIS6 machine to a Windows 2008, IIS7 machine and have run into a snag that I've been unable to track down. It's the code to communicate with the Linkpoint Gateway and make credit card transactions. I've got a support email into them but thought someone may have run across the issue here. Using code confirmed to work in IIS6 (been working for years, actually but I manually tested it on 3 seperate machines to make sure) causes the web server process to hang. This is what I get in the system log (two times, back to back a second or two apart):

A process serving application pool 'example.com' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '1788'. The process exit code was '0xc0000374'.

There's also a corresponding error in the application log (2x again):

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919413, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000b015d, process id 0xec0, application start time 0x01c8a10b5544cd86. 

I've tried using tracing and the Debug Diagnostics tool to track down the error but I can't get either of them to generate a log. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or what else to try?

Linkpoint Application Hang

• Rovastar Rovastar

5495 Posts

MVP

Re: Trouble with Linkpoint API in IIS7

Apr 18, 2008 04:59 AM|Rovastar|LINK

What do the IIS website and httperr logs say?

I presume you are going to a page. What is that page in the logs? Does it occur everytime you goto that page/perform that action.

Anyway no matter 0xc0000374 implies that it is heap corruption.

So see here:

How to debug heap corruption issues in Internet Information Services (IIS): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300966 

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: Trouble with Linkpoint API in IIS7

Jun 12, 2008 04:20 PM|ave|LINK

Hi, Were you able to get it to work? We have the same problem and Linkpoint is no help at all. Please let me know. Thank you
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5495 Posts

MVP

Jun 13, 2008 02:34 PM|Rovastar|LINK

Does the above information help?

Jun 13, 2008 04:59 PM|ave|LINK

Not sure if it worked for the other person, but the link does not work since I found this post.

Dec 17, 2008 02:15 AM|riznick|LINK

I was having the same issue.  The linkpoint object would actually charge the cards.  It seems that the fault occurs after the charge when it is closing the object.

I contacted linkpoint and they said they would only support .net 1.0.  They assured me that they are working on a new DLL for the latest version of .net. 

Linkpoint seems to be a joke.  It requires OpenSSL, yet does not provide any information on where to get it, or what version is compatible with their tool.  They also told me that if I want to use Windows 2008, then I should use a gateway that supports windows 2008. 

My solution was to create a table in the database that stores all the charge information.  My .net page then calls one of my 2003 servers to charge that data and delete the record.  The page then returns approved or declined to the .net page.  I hate having to do it this way, but it actually solves a lot of the linkpoint errors in a short period of time.  I do not wish to keep it set up this way for long, but it works.

Feb 17, 2009 11:04 AM|nelsonmena|LINK

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Mar 28, 2009 07:15 PM|jgtech|LINK

Wow, still no comments that is really unfortunate I just assumed this would work, my site is live and payments are crippled.

Apr 03, 2009 12:43 AM|MrScottFletcher|LINK

I am right there with you.  I wrote some wrappers around the LinkPointTransaction.dll and wrote some components that handle the transactions for me.  My assemblies work fine in my windows test harness app, and they ALSO work in a web service that I wrote when spawned in debug mode (VS 2008 Visual Studio Development Server)!  However, the app always crashes when running in the local IIS web server.

The call to LinkPointTransaction.LinkPointTxn.Send() seems to send the transaction to FirstData, but my application crashes w3p.exe somewhere after that, before it hits the next line.  It does not throw an exception; it just crashes.

I am running 64bit Vista Home Premium, but have forced all of my assemblies to x86. I enabled 32bit apps in IIS. I created a separate AppPool just for this web service.  I have tried running the App Pool under my user account with Admin priveledges instead of the Network Service.  I have tried Integrated and Classic modes.   I have explicitly opened the TCP/IP port in my local firewall that the LinkPointTransaction.dll uses to communicate with FirstData.  I have shut my firewall off.  I always get the following crash when running on the local IIS server:

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919413, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000aada3, process id 0x990, application start time 0x01c9b4133281d5d0.

I would keep trying workarounds, but I am out of ideas.  Thoughts are welcome.

IIS 7 LinkPoint

• Rovastar Rovastar

5495 Posts

MVP

Apr 03, 2009 11:21 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Does the failed Request tracing give you any clues?

The above posted had a heap corruption problem so I suspect the app is doing something wrong and mashing up the heap. If this is the case then the problem is firmly with the app and I don't know what to suggest other than approach the authors of the software.

Here is another link on Debugging heap corruption but if  you are not the dev there is not much you can do,.

http://blogs.msdn.com/lagdas/archive/2008/06/24/debugging-heap-corruption-with-application-verifier-and-debugdiag.aspx

Apr 03, 2009 11:52 AM|MrScottFletcher|LINK

Rovastar

What do the IIS website and httperr logs say?

My HTTPERR log file has the following reason (repeated in the log file for each time the app has crashed) :

• <div mce_keep="true">SiteId: 1</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Reason Phrase:Connection_Abandoned_By_ReqQueue </div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Queue Name:Classic32bitPool</div>

This link explains that the Reason Phrase means:

A worker process from the application pool has quit unexpectedly or orphaned a pending request by closing its handle. Specific to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. 

If that phrase is specific to Vista and Windows Server 2008, where can I find out more about what this Reason Phrase means and how to accomodate the difference in IIS 7?

Rovastar

Anyway no matter 0xc0000374 implies that it is heap corruption.

Honestly, Application Verifier and debugdiag is a bit father down the rabbit hole than I can go today.

• Rovastar Rovastar

5495 Posts

MVP

Apr 03, 2009 12:29 PM|Rovastar|LINK

I must admit I found no more imformation other than in that KB link that I found.

API troubleshooting gets a little heavy sadly that is the nature of the beast. Although I strongly think it is the domain of the API devs not the end customer. I cannot see what you can do.

Hence way it suggested further troubleshooting here http://forums.iis.net/t/1156530.aspx for that error as the ISAPI dev can do something about it.

Trying to find a hack to fix this is not the best way and may not even be possible.

I suspect that if the API is doing something dodgy that was allowed in IIS6. Maybe as the link suggests 'a orphaned pending request by closing a handle' was allowed in IIS6 and not in 7.I don't know enough about IIS APIs to go into more detail.

Apr 03, 2009 12:53 PM|riznick|LINK

Rovastar

The above posted had a heap corruption problem so I suspect the app is doing something wrong and mashing up the heap. If this is the case then the problem is firmly with the app and I don't know what to suggest other than approach the authors of the software.

Unfortunately, the authors of the software say that they do not support IIS7 or any .Net above 1.0.  It works fine with the new versions of .Net on IIS6.  They told me I need to downgrade my application (which is wrong) to 1.0 before they would begin to attempt to help me. 

I asked when they planned on supporting later versions of .Net and they said "sometime soon". 

They also told me that if I plan to use IIS7 or Windows 2008 that I should switch merchant providers to another company that supports IIS7 or Windows 2008.  That's right...  Linkpoint's support actually told me I should dump their merchant if I wanted to use IIS7.

Apr 03, 2009 05:34 PM|MrScottFletcher|LINK

I crawled down the rabbit hole, used WinDgb, and saw that it is indeed the vendor's DLL that is causing the problem (or, at least it is caused by some problem during an interaction between their DLL and ntdll.dll related to the release of memory when using IIS7)... just as Rovastar suggested.

There does not appear to be anything that we can do to work around this issue.  My synopsis can be found here.

Aug 04, 2009 09:23 AM|Warren_Nickus|LINK

I went through hell to try and fix this issue so I decided it's worth my time to sum everything up for future victims!

My current system is Windows SBS 2008 with IIS 7.

You can dowload the alternative DLL files from here: http://www.dragonlights.net/DragonLights/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=233&p=233

Follow the instructions at the link - You would need to use regsvr32 to register the DLL - Just open CMD with "Run as Administrator". Please make sure you run the regsvr32 from the WOW64 directory to allow the 32 BIT dll to register properly. Everything else will just return an error, so make sure you do it right.

If you are using the .NET solution like I was, you would need to adjust your code to fit the COM Object. It is VERY similar and only requires 2-3 adjustmants inside the code file of asp (.vb or .c, whatever you are using). Check their documantation for the exact changes.

After you're done, make sure to use the Aspcomp="true" at the header of your file. T

hat wasn't the end of it on my end. I had to reconfigure the IIS7 to work with the 32 BIT application.

1) Change the application pool to support the 32 bit.

2) You will also have to change the application.config.

Detailed instructions here: http://blogs.msdn.com/carloc/archive/2009/02/04/service-unavailable-in-iis7-with-32-bit-application-pool.aspx

You will face one last error which you will solve by running: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpCompression /-[name='xpress'] This needs to be done using "Run As Admin" CMD.

Hopefully this will help all of you who wasted A LOT OF TIME figuring this out.

Nick.

Oct 23, 2009 02:23 PM|Fernando Paiva|LINK

It worked.... finally. Thanks for the good work.

I am running 2008 32bits, .net 3.5 framework and my Application Pool is on Classic mode.

I just copied files to my bin and registered Interop.LPICOM_6_0Lib.dll (from my bin folder, running regsvr32 Interop.LPICOM_6_0Lib.dll) and voila ! (nothing else had to be done).

ASP.NET IIS7 WAS Windows Server 2008 Linkpoint Application Hang win2k8 application pool upgrade from IIS 6 problem 32bits 2008 lpssl.dll w3wp.exe ntdll.dll LinkPointTransaction

Nov 06, 2009 10:22 AM|sullivandavid|LINK

Fernando,

Did you use the DLLs from the before mentioned bulletin board or did you use just First Data's DLLs?

Nov 06, 2009 11:39 AM|Fernando Paiva|LINK

sullivandavid

Fernando,

Did you use the DLLs from the before mentioned bulletin board or did you use just First Data's DLLs?

I've just checked my bin folder and I have the following dll's (related to the LinkPoint):

Interop.LPICOM_6_0lib.dll (Version 1.0.0.0 - 5.50Kb)

libeay32.dll (Version 0.9.8.11 - 993kb)

LinkPointTransaction.dll (Version 1.0.2004.18369 - 10.0kb)

LpiCom_6_0.dll (Version 1.0.0.4 - 1.24Mb)

ssleay32.dll (Version 0.9.8.11 - 196kb)

I hope this will help you. Let me know if it works !

Nov 06, 2009 12:40 PM|sullivandavid|LINK

I'm trying to convert an ASP.Net project using VB.Net from using the LinkPointAPI.cResponse and LinkPointAPI.cSale classes to COM (as listed in this thread) in order to let it work on Win 2008 32bit with IIS7.

I notice that you are not listing LinkPointAPI.dll in your bin folder.

Am I supposed to stop using the .Net LinkPointAPI object and replace it with LIPCOM_6_0.dll?  Is anyone else here doing this still able to use the Response classes or an equivalent?

Thanks all!

Nov 09, 2009 10:52 AM|sullivandavid|LINK

Ok, sorry for the previous question.  I inherited this project from a previous developer. Apparently he created his own .Net wrapper around the LinkPointTransaction.dll object and called it LinkPointAPI.dll That is what he uses in the ASP.Net project.  All is good now. Thx.

Sep 08, 2010 04:36 PM|jmack56|LINK

hi warren,

we are now having issues with the linkpoint com object as well.  would you happen to still have your dll file fixes?  the link here is broken.

if you have a moment drop me an email at jmacktci@gmail.com i have a couple questions for you regarding this.

Sep 14, 2011 12:47 PM|dgoranov|LINK

ASP.NET Linkpoint Application Hang server 2008 64 bit lpssl.dll ISS 7 problem