We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Question for the IIS TeamRSS

2 replies

Last post Apr 21, 2008 11:24 AM by Madness80

• Question for the IIS Team

Apr 11, 2008 02:28 PM|Madness80|LINK

This is a pet peeve of mine, and every time it bites me I have this overwheming urge to once again plead with Microsoft to fix it.

Yesterday I was on a new W2K3 server and I needed to make a change to a setting in any web.config file that referenced it. Using the Windows explorer I searched for web.config files that contained the text http://. It did not find any. I knew this was incorrect. I got bit by the old persistent handler "enhancement" again.

So I opened up a command prompt and ran findstr and found the specific files and manually corrected them. But this just annoys the crap out of me. Search should work. It should find the text. But it's been broke (and I want to emphasize the word BROKE) since Windows 2000.

Normally I install the freeware Agent Ransack but being a new machine it did not have it installed. Technically, I think that violates my company's policy on shareware, but I need an easy way to search for text. I need something I can rely on. It's to the point now that I can't use search to look for text because I just don't trust it.

Just for laughs, I  tried this on our W2K8 evauluation machine. OMG. That's even worse. I used to be able to right click on a folder and choose search. Not in W2K8. And there used to be a field on the search screen for "word or phrase in the file". Not in W2K8. Now we how tags and authors. How does tags and authors help me manage a production IIS web server?

So my question is: how does the IIS team search for text in files? Findstr? Do you also find this counterproductive?

My request is: please walk down the hall to where the Windows OS team sits and slap them upside their heads and tell them to fix search.

Thank you for letting me vent.  

• Re: Question for the IIS Team

Apr 17, 2008 12:39 AM|JaroDunajsky|LINK

I typically use findstr :-).

But I use occasionally Win2008 seach from windows explorer and it works for me. I agree it is not very intuitive to use right away. By default the search applies to only file/directory names and their metadata. But you can click on "Search in file contents" which is below the text "Did you find what you were searching for?" in the pane that shows results. It will display files with the requested content.

Jaroslav Dunajsky (MSFT, IIS)
  • Re: Question for the IIS Team

Apr 21, 2008 11:24 AM|Madness80|LINK

So I have to first run a search that returns no results so that I can then run a search that returns inaccurate results?

Am I that warped that I'm the only user that thinks that this is ludicrous?