Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)) RSS

6 replies

Last post Sep 22, 2015 06:19 PM by mj777

• Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

Apr 07, 2008 06:31 PM|dblount|LINK

I came across this error today after restarting one of my production web servers. The issue only appeared when ASP.NET was initializing on the first request from a web browser. If you requested the website a second time, the application would finally kick-in and start. However, if you restarted the W3SVC service (effectively reloading IIS and ASP.NET), and request the site again, you'll get the error. I looked in C:\WINDOWS\assembly, and Microsoft.Jscript was in the GAC. I figured this might be a permission issue with the IIS worker process identity that ASP.NET uses but it has been working now for some time. We currently host our web-app over a network share, and have a separate identity access the network share. This is the error that we are getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x8000ffff): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))]

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.JScript, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))]
       System.RuntimeTypeHandle._GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName) +0
       System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +78
       System.RuntimeType.PrivateGetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +58
       System.Type.GetType(String typeName) +48
       System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerInfo.get_IsCodeDomProviderTypeValid() +9
       System.Web.Compilation.CompilationUtil.GetRecompilationHash(CompilationSection ps) +1813
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.get_RecompilationHash() +70
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate2(StandardDiskBuildResultCache diskCache) +780
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CheckTopLevelFilesUpToDate(StandardDiskBuildResultCache diskCache) +46
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.RegularAppRuntimeModeInitialize() +419
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.Initialize() +235
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InitializeBuildManager() +228
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags) +329

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.JScript, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3465427
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +69
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +279

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

• Re: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

Jul 09, 2008 01:48 PM|OutOfTouch|LINK

I am getting the exact same error and using the same setup for my application that you mentioned you are using for yours.

We were getting this error first:

Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process

But then we ran both of the following:

metaacl.vbs IIS://Localhost/W3SVC/AppPools IIS_WPG U

and this

aspnet_regiis -ga <WindowsUserAccount>

We then noticed that the user account to connect to the network share where the application source files are located was not under the IIS_WPG group so we added it and now we see the warning you mentioned.

Did you get or find anything on how to solve this?

Sep 29, 2008 03:44 PM|sureshbalu|LINK

Hi,

Iam getting the same error when i try to invoke the classes from the .OCX object i am the error states that, "Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))" please help me to find the solution with the STEPS Basis for this. Thanks in Advance.

Catastrophic failure HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)

Sep 30, 2008 10:07 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

sureshbalu

getting the same error when i try to invoke the classes from the .OCX object
    What?  An ocx is an ActiveX control typically used in client-side programming.  What are you doing exactly?

May 12, 2010 09:42 AM|Donald-Petry-III|LINK

We opened a support case with Microsoft on this issue and after weeks of gathering traces and dumps they identified a root cause.  This problem is a cryptic manifestation of a known issue with URLMON.dll.

KB945701 - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;945701

We performed the following fix which resolved the issue:

Click Start , click Run, type regedit , and then click OK
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701
    Note If the FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701 subkey does not exist, you must manually create it
    Right-click FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701 , point to New, and then click DWORD Value
    Type w3wp.exe to name the new registry entry, and then press ENTER
    Right-click w3wp.exe , and then click Modify
    In the Value data box, type 1 , and then click OK
    Exit Registry Editor.
    Restart the system

I hope this saves others the months of pain and effort this issue caused us.

Donald (Don) Petry III

Find me on LinkedIn

Donald (Don) Petry III
    IT Consultant
    LinkedIn
    Home

Mar 03, 2015 06:00 AM|Artegario|LINK

Sharepoint 2010 and I regret to say it does not help me solve the problem. Is there other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

2010 sharepoint 0x8000FFFF Catastrophicfailure ExceptionfromHRESULT:0x8000FFFF

Sep 22, 2015 06:19 PM|mj777|LINK

I had a situation that sounded almost identical to that described by dblount. The error message and the symptoms (first request or two failed, but subsequent requests were okay) were exactly as he described.  I also found that if the page came up successfully and then the site was left idle for a period of 15 minutes or so, the requests would fail again with the same "Catastrophic failure" message.

A few things were different in my case, though.

1) I'm running Windows 2012 R2.

2) The website files are not kept on a network share, but on the local web server.

3) The server was brand-new and had never been used in production.

I was able to fix it by installing the "Web-AppInit" Windows feature.

Hope this helps someone.

mj777