how to configure for no-www [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Mar 21, 2008 12:06 PM by anilr

• how to configure for no-www

Mar 20, 2008 08:34 AM|xeshu|LINK

Hello gurus,

I have webhosting my self. All I want to achieve is how to configure my webserver or IIS so that any requests that come from domain.com as opposed to www.domain.com go to www.domain.com.

Apparently a lot of googling and all I found were that its a peace of cake, 4 lines of code that go in .htaccess file for apache server. No where can i find a single article / reference that would guide to do the same in windows server / iis.

There is also isapi rewrite that some refer to. I do not see how that fits in my problem. Please anyone who has any idea please guide me to the right direction. Would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Regards

Zeeshan

• Re: how to configure for no-www

Mar 20, 2008 11:17 AM|xeshu|LINK

alright this is what I have found out.

basically in the DNS control panel area thingi (win server) you put the domain.com and point it to the IP in the A-records

And for the CNAME you put www.domain.com and point it to shortname(domain.com).

All well and good. Theory behind it is pretty straight forward, and why some people just couldnt make it as simple as that is beyond me. Which brings me to my second question is that how in the freaking hell-world am I supposed to change these settings? How? and Where?

I know the What i just need to know Where? No where on google can I see a single article on how to configure A-Name on DNS or change it. It seems more or less it isnt even possible. 

Mar 21, 2008 12:04 AM|qbernard|LINK

a) For DNS - this is just a record, so just create the reference record for domain.com. How ? where, when? depend on what kind of DNS server you using ? who ? get your dns admin to do it

b) IIS - setup site host header with the newly created record? where/how/when? google - IIS host header, who ? get your IIS admin to do it.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Mar 21, 2008 12:06 PM|anilr|LINK

Rather than go with a dns based solution, you can just create 2 sites in IIS, one with host header or www.domain.com and the other with host header of domain.com - and then go to the second site and set up redirection rule in that site to redirect all requests to www.domain.com

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server