Trying to understand IIS [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Feb 05, 2008 07:16 PM by tomkmvp

• Trying to understand IIS

Feb 05, 2008 01:15 PM|Jazzcatone|LINK

I have a Windows Server with two IP Addresseses that resolve in DNS. URL and their associated IP are as follows:

machinename.domainsuffix.net resolves to 10.49.207.127

machinename-vs01.domainsuffix.net resolves to 10.49.207.133

Where it gets interesting is that there are numerous applications (separated by virtual directory basically) on this box. Most of the applications listed live at the first ip listed(machinename.domainsuffix.net resolves to 10.49.207.127 ) But there is one app( we can call it "app x", for now)  that lives at the second ip (machinename-vs01.domainsuffix.net resolves to 10.49.207.133)

The weird thing is that there is only 1 website in IIS(6).  All of the virtual directories for all of the applications are listed underneath this 1 Default Website.The Default Website has it's IP listed as "all unassigned" in it's properties .From what I understand, this means that this website is bound to all of the ip's on the box. So when the user requests, machinename-vs01.domainsuffix.net/VDIRforappx/default.aspx they are taken to the correct place, that being the UI default.aspx for app x. (DNS resolves)

What I don't quite understand is why the user could not feasibly access app x from the first url ?? When the user tries access from the first url (machinename.domainsuffix.net /VDIRforappx/default.aspx) they are then prompted for credentials. That would be fine but once the user enters them they are given an authentication error by iis "HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)" I don't really understand how the one particular app is bound to only the second listed ip address. Can someone tell me if there is a place I can look to help answer these questions. Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Jason

• Re: Trying to understand IIS

Feb 05, 2008 01:40 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

From what you describe, the user should be able to access it using either name.

As far as the 401.1 error, that means that either a bad username or password was given, or the user could not be found in the directory.  What credentials are you trying to use?

Feb 05, 2008 02:12 PM|Luciano.cl|LINK

Feb 05, 2008 03:16 PM|Jazzcatone|LINK

Dear Tom,

Hello and thank you for your response. I do agree, it would seem that I should be able to acess the app from either url. I can almost  assure you it is not my credentials that are the problem. I am a local admin on the box and have tried numerous times to authenticate. My account is not locked out in anyway and my credentials are specific to the domain.

Jason 

Feb 05, 2008 07:16 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

... but the 401.1 is quite clear in that IIS is not able to authenticate the credentials you are sending ...