IIS 5 & IIS 6
IIS localhost not responding
Last post Nov 01, 2007 12:50 PM by steve schofield
Oct 31, 2007 10:19 PM|CodeJawa|LINK
I'm working in a development environment so keep in mind that normally sane things might be seriously altered unbeknownst to me, or at least that I haven't thought of yet. I was running along fine until a couple of days ago when the web project I was working
on stopped responding. At first I thought it was the project I was working on but when I checked other sites I realized the localhost had completely stopped responding to any query. If I try to simply browse to //localhost IE will hang for an interminable
period and then report a 404.
.Net 1.1 and 2.0 installed side by side initially
I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS to no avail. Here are a couple of the things I've tried to work this out and the results I've received any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Can I ping //localhost? Yes but it responds as "Reply from ::1: time<1ms"
Errors that occurred prior to this: Unable to gain access to IIS metabase - I granted access to the IUSR account and the local / network admin accounts.
I've manually restarted IISADMIN and W3SVC without error.
I installed and ran wfetch but received the following error regardless of where I pointed wfetch:0x2749 (A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket is not connected and (when sending on a datagram socket using a sendto call)
All of the information I found on the wfetch error suggested a problem with proxy settings which aren't enabled in my setup so I think wfetch is a dead end for me.
Tried reregistering .Net 2.0 with errors. Note that these errors are encountered whether or not I install and register or just install. (aka -i and -ir) The errors in the log include
This is the first error:2007-10-31 21:28:19 Failure Installing aspnet.mof file: InstallMOF failed with HRESULT 80004005: 'Unspecified error '
Unfortunately pursuing the above error didn't get me anywhere.
2007-10-31 21:28:29 Failure Setting WMI ACLs for a IIS6 account: GrantAccessToWmiNamespace failed with HRESULT 8004100a: ''
I'm particularly suspicious about this as XP is limited to IIS5.1
Since it complained of WMI and other paths hadn't been of assistance I tried to tackle the WMI issue directly. I found some references to a possibly corrupted WMI repository. I browsed to the wbem directory and ran mofcomp cimwin32.mof directly and got the
following error "An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on lines 8 - 11". lines 8 - 11 define the namespace CIMV2.
At this point I'm pursuing a cause for corruption of the CIMV2 namespace but I'm WAY out of my comfort zone at this point so if anyone is more familiar with what could have caused this constellation of symptoms I'd really appreciate some help.
0x80004005 Unspecified error Server Applicatoin Unavailable
Oct 31, 2007 11:40 PM|steve schofield|LINK
I'm not sure about the WMI settings. Here are a couple things to check, first turn off the Show HTTP Friendly errors.
1) Do you have anything else listening on port 80. Go to your command prompt, type netstat -an -p tcp and see if anything is listening on port 80 0.0.0.0:80. Turn off the WWW service and run this command.
2) Comment out the ::1 (which I think is localhost for IPv6).
Here is a blog of localhost issues that might help.
Windows Server MVP - IIS
Log archival solution
Install, Configure, Forget
Nov 01, 2007 11:48 AM|CodeJawa|LINK
Thanks for the help, Steve. I went through all of the steps that were listed on the link you sent in and neither they nor anything else I found worked. Thankfully I did finally get this resolved this morning thanks to a comment from our IT guru. Though
I have no idea how this happened, IPV6 became the default protocol for my NIC and Wireless adapter. After uninstalling IPV6 everything has worked fine. All of the problems that I was seeing were apparently related to IPV6s loopback response of ::1: when the
processes were attempting to access //localhost. Though there were no entries in the host or lmhosts file IPV6 was still responding in that manner.
Although I'm extraordinarily relieved to have this resolved I'm still curious as to how it came about and whether or not having IPV6 is inherently incompatible with a XPSP2 install so if I find out any additional information I'll post it here. Thanks for
the help and suggestions Steve.
Nov 01, 2007 12:50 PM|steve schofield|LINK