IIS 5 & IIS 6
Help me: HTTP/HTTPS requests breakson XP SP2 while other protocols wo...
Last post Oct 13, 2007 11:33 PM by qbernard
Oct 11, 2007 09:00 AM|Wojciech Krzyzak|LINK
I have experienced serious problem with local HTTP requests on Windows XP (SP2 + all updates) for a few months,
and still can't resolve it or even find a reason, although I've tried heavily.
What's the problem:
When I am browsing pages located on ANY local webserver with ANY browser,
after several pages displayed correctly I often get error page telling that browser coudn't connect to server
(check url, proxy settings and similar blah,blah).
After that happened, and this is the real problem, I am no longer able to display any local or remote page neither by IP nor DNS address.
What's even worse, every few such occurences my computer gets unexpected reset without any warning.
That seems to happen randomly - from few seconds to few minutes from the moment problem occured.
After restarting computer everything works normally.
What I know until now:
- only http & https protocols stops working, while ftp,smtp,pop,ping,instant messengers etc continue to work normally.
- problem seems to be browser independent as I've tried using exclusively Firefox and IE6 and roblem occured on each of them.
- problem seems to be web server independent as I've tried using IIS 5.1, Apache 2.2 and built-in Visual Studio 2005 web server and problem occured on each of them.
- problem seems to be non virus related as I am using Avira antivirus.
- problem seems to be non malware related as I am using SpyBot.
- problem seems to be non firewall related as I've tried switch my Outpost off and disable its windows service and problem occured anyway.
- problem seems to be non anti-virus related as I've tried switch Avira antivirus off and disable all of its windows services and problem occured anyway.
- reinstalation of network card didn't help, as expected, because only http/https protocols stop working not whole internet/intranet connection.
- repairing network connection didn't help, as expected, because only http/https protocols stop working not whole internet/intranet connection.
- clearing ARP cache and netbios cache didn't help, as expected, because only http/https protocols stop working not whole internet/intranet connection.
- applying WinSockXPFix aplication didn't help.
- uninstalling Apache web server (that used port 8080, whilst IIS used 80) didn't help.
- concerning pages causing problem - after checking IIS logfiles (C:\WINDOWS\system32\Logfiles\W3SVC1\*.log) there is no rule on last request served - it can be just sending .css file, .php file, .aspx file, binary file to download etc. Although statuses of
last request vary from 200 (OK) thru 304,401,404 up to 500 (internal server error).
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\Logfiles\HTTPERR\httperr1.log has no entry since few Timer_ConnectionIdle in April 2007.
After few months and applying several fixes I still can't say what is the real reason of this behaviour, how to avoid it or even how to repair http requests without restarting computer. Currently I suspect that things go wrong somewhere about HTTP.sys (HTTP
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Oct 12, 2007 12:33 AM|qbernard|LINK
During the error time, IIS services still runnig?
any event log related to IIS ?
able to use wfetch to query IIS ?
Oct 12, 2007 01:54 AM|Wojciech Krzyzak|LINK
Yes, IIS is still running but no new request is logged since error occurence as if IIS didn't know that I sent other requests to it.
Under my firewall I am able to see that when I click refresh in browser (or choose another url) a tcp connection for http request is established for a moment and it is immediately broken before any byte has been sent or received, so problem may be related
to establishing http connection / tcp connection to port 80,443 (other tcp connections work fine).
Oct 12, 2007 02:54 AM|qbernard|LINK
Can you try wfetch to test ? google microsoft.com
and any error in event log ?
Oct 12, 2007 04:20 AM|Wojciech Krzyzak|LINK
Here is WFETCH log.
After error (error happened after first POST request to phpmyadmin):
Oct 12, 2007 04:28 AM|Wojciech Krzyzak|LINK
There are no errors/warnings in neither System nor Application Eventlog.
Thanks for WFetch - it may be very helpful.
Concerning it's log it seems like tcp connection was not closed, doesn't it?
How can such thing happen?
Oct 12, 2007 05:31 AM|Wojciech Krzyzak|LINK
I have just discovered that using Basic Authentication in WFetch causes immediate computer restart.
I used that authentication to protect access to phpmyadmin web folder, so I restored anonymous access to that folder now and will see if this help, although, of course, this is not preferrable solution to problem.
Looking for any further ideas.
Oct 13, 2007 11:33 PM|qbernard|LINK
what about normal request to hello.html via anonymous?
setting auth method and browse via wfetch will NOT cause computer to restart.
skip the phpmyadmin first - need to ensure that IIS is working local and remotely. then only check the setting of php.