IIS 5 & IIS 6
W3WP memory grow
Last post Nov 15, 2007 07:40 AM by xdsl
May 03, 2007 06:02 AM|g.lorenzo|LINK
w3wp memory leak
May 03, 2007 08:37 AM|tomkmvp|LINK
I'm afraid the problem is that you need more memory, 512Mb is simply not enough for both IIS and SQL. I suggest at least 1 gig if not 2 gig. My W3WP is always above 100Mb on a fairly low use system.
As far as storing images in the database, read this (it talks about ASP but the idea is the same):
Nov 15, 2007 04:18 AM|xdsl|LINK
I have a similar problem on a server with dual cpu's, 2gb memory only mine idles at 6.5mb and then as soon as someone logs into the site it shoots up to 600mb and carries on climbing till it hits 1.3ishGB and then it restarts the w3wp process.
I've tried debugging it with IIS DebugDiag but it doesn't tell me a great deal, just that I have about 1gb of committed memory.
I have posted this somewhere else but can't find my post!!
Nov 15, 2007 07:40 AM|xdsl|LINK
Okay, I think I've just managed to fix mine so here's a full break down.
We're building a new application which we put through system test, then user test before eventually sending it live. In user test we have 3 servers, one for the web interface, one for the web services and another with SQL 2005.
The code dropped on to the box has already been through system test so I knew the code wasn't the issue.
Our websites and web application sites all run in their own application pools with their own user service accounts and I noticed that one of the application service sites W3WP process was running between 600mb and 1.3gb. Once it reached the upper limit
it would recycle and lose all the session state but the bigger problem was that the service was unacceptable as the server ran like a dog (with broken legs).
I changed the application pool to the default app pool and the memory sat at 40mb, great. So I tried to create a new application pool but it went back to it's original state. I then tried the original application pool but using the Network service account
and again the application sat at 40mb.
Long story short, it ended up being the user account that the service was using that was causing the issue which sounds bizarre but it looks all good at the moment.
If you're already using the Default App pool then I'm not sure if creating a new application pool would fix anything, maybe just create a service account and give the necessary rights 'n' stuff and it should work :)