We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

HTTP Error 500.0, Error Code: 0x80070005, virtual directory/application troubleRSS

9 replies

Last post Oct 02, 2013 11:23 PM by hpvaghani

• HTTP Error 500.0, Error Code: 0x80070005, virtual directory/application trouble

Apr 19, 2007 10:46 AM|Russ_T|LINK

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm going spare now and I've searched this forum and google for, well since before lunch and it's now nearly 4pm. I cannot find an answer to my specific problem, or any errors in logs etc. I have had to resort to asking this question.

I have a fresh IIS7 install, Vista business 32, and php 5.2.something installed. The default web folder displays html and phpinfo() fine, it's working great. However when I add a virtual directory or application I get the following error.

I this directory has the default html and png file as per wwwroot and a phpinfo file so I can test, but it won't even display the directory listing. From my searches I noticed I might have to have a web.config file in there for a virtual dir? There definitely isn't one, but then this error shows for both virtual dirs and applications so who knows. 

<div style="border: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 0); margin: 20px; padding: 10px;">

Server Error

HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error

Description: The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

Error Code: 0x80070005

Notification: BeginRequest

Module: IIS Web Core

Requested URL: http://russ-laptop:80/test

Physical Path: C:\Users\Russ\Desktop\test

Logon User: Not yet determined

Logon Method: Not yet determined

Handler: Not yet determined

Most likely causes:

• IIS received the request; however, an internal error occurred during the processing of the request. The root cause of this error depends on which module handles the request and what was happening in the worker process when this error occurred.
    • IIS was not able to access the web.config file for the Web site or application. This can occur if the NTFS permissions are set incorrectly.
    • IIS was not able to process configuration for the Web site or application.
    • The authenticated user does not have permission to use this DLL.
    • The request is mapped to a managed handler but the .NET Extensibility Feature is not installed.

What you can try:

• Ensure that the NTFS permissions for the web.config file are correct and allow access to the Web server's machine account.
    • Check the event logs to see if any additional information was logged.
    • Verify the permissions for the DLL.
    • Install the .NET Extensibility feature if the request is mapped to a managed handler.
    • Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.

More Information... This error means that there was a problem while processing the request. The request was received by the Web server, but during processing a fatal error occurred, causing the 500 error.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles:

Server Version Information: Internet Information Services 7.0. </div>

<shame> I hate not being able to solve this myself, the answer has to be in this forum somewhere </shame>

Thank you 

0x80070005 "HTTP Error 500.0"

http://russtaylor.co.uk for my little website, just some ramblings, you'll agree it was a waste of your time visiting it.
  • Re: HTTP Error 500.0, Error Code: 0x80070005, virtual directory/application trouble

Apr 19, 2007 01:59 PM|anilr|LINK

The win32 error code is ACCESS_DENIED - so it is probably related to not having access to some resource - try procmon (from sysinternals) and see if you can spot an access-denied there - I would normally say you do not have access to web.config etc, but that should give you a more detailed error message with config file-name etc.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server
  • Re: HTTP Error 500.0, Error Code: 0x80070005, virtual directory/application trouble

Apr 19, 2007 05:38 PM|Russ_T|LINK

Absolutely spot on, I had turned off read only, but now I've gone into the folders security permissions and given everyone on this laptop full control.

I guess I need to change that a bit now as the folder appears to be shared because of this? Any ideas please?

Thank you for your help :-)

http://russtaylor.co.uk for my little website, just some ramblings, you'll agree it was a waste of your time visiting it.

Apr 20, 2007 10:36 AM|Russ_T|LINK

I've set everyone to have permissions of read, read&execute, list folder contents, and that works as well :-)

Apr 20, 2007 12:09 PM|anilr|LINK

Gioving IIS_IUSRS group read permission should work and would be more secure.
    Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Apr 21, 2007 12:07 PM|Russ_T|LINK

That didn't work for me, but IUSR does. Thanks very much for your help, much better than using everyone.

Jun 26, 2007 04:50 AM|phubaut|LINK

Actually, I noticed that in addition to IUSR being granted read access, you have also to have "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" being granted read access for anonymous browsing to work. This may be often the case "by default" but it has to be explicitely granted if, for instance, you create a virtual directory or application pointing to "C:\Users\some_user\Documents\web site" (Vista Ultimate default security settings)

Jul 02, 2007 06:14 PM|tricky354|LINK

hi there, i'm getting the same error as above, how & where do i go to find (sysinternals) so i can check these permissions? 

Jul 02, 2007 08:34 PM|qbernard|LINK

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Oct 02, 2013 11:23 PM|hpvaghani|LINK

But How Can i Resolve that ?

<div class="content-container">
    Error Summary

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

</div> <div class="content-container">
    Detailed Error Information <div id="details-left">
    Module IIS Web Core
    Notification Unknown
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070005
    Config Error Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions
    Config File \\?\C:\Users\Hardik\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\SampleWebsite\web.config
    </div> <div id="details-right">
    Requested URL http://localhost:80/
    Physical Path
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User Not yet determined
    </div>
    </div>