We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Managed Pipline Mode: Classic - using forms authenticationRSS

2 replies

Last post Jan 30, 2007 12:55 AM by thomad

• Managed Pipline Mode: Classic - using forms authentication

Jan 29, 2007 02:15 PM|mbertulli|LINK

I was wondering if anybody has figured out how to have all requests for .asp pages use the asp.net forms authentication using the Classic pipeline mode?

The reason I don't want to use Integrated is so I don't need to carry 2 web.config files for my applications for the XP developers and Vista developers.  We are testing Vista as a development platform and so far this is hanging us up as our staging/production environments are Win2k3/IIS 6.

ASP Classic Forms Authentication

• Re: Managed Pipline Mode: Classic - using forms authentication

Jan 29, 2007 03:51 PM|anilr|LINK

You can have the same web.config which can be used in classic/inegrated mode in vista as well a downlevel - look at this post for an example of how to create such web.config file - http://forums.iis.net/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=1528521&PermaPostID=1528521#1528521

To have all requests go to asp.net in classic mode, you have to do the same thing as in previous IIS versions, register aspnet_isapi.dll as a wildcard application mapping (or *-ScriptMap) - the config entry would look something like
    <handlers>
      <add name="Aspnet-Wildcard" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="...\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="None" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
    </handlers>
    of course, you may to have to add addtional lines to handle different asp.net versions/bitness, if you want to.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server
  • Re: Managed Pipline Mode: Classic - using forms authentication

Jan 30, 2007 12:55 AM|thomad|LINK

Another option if you want to use Integrated Mode:

If you use ASP.NET 2.0 you should be covered because ASP.NET ignores the system.webServer section due to this entry in machine.config:

<section name="system.webServer" type="System.Configuration.IgnoreSection, System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

If you use ASP.NET 1.1 you can put the same entry in its machine.config file and ASP.NET 1.1 will simply ignore IIS <system.webServer> entries in your web.config files. This allows you to work in Integrated Mode on IIS7 and continue to work as usual on XP and W2K3.

Thomas Deml
    Group Program Manager
    Internet Information Services
    Microsoft Corp.