IE 7 and integrated windows authenticationRSS

3 replies

Last post Oct 24, 2006 01:53 AM by mvolo

• IE 7 and integrated windows authentication

Oct 19, 2006 02:00 PM|cyzfitz|LINK

I just installed IE 7. We have a intranet site running on IIS 6 that uses windows authentication. With IE 6 everything worked fine. Now with IE 7 it is prompting me to login. I checked to make sure the IE setting to use integrated windows authentication was enabled. Is this a bug in IE 7? Are there work arounds?

Thanks,

Tim

• Re: IE 7 and integrated windows authentication

Oct 23, 2006 01:25 AM|mvolo|LINK

Tim,

On IIS7, Windows Authentication is an optional component not installed by default. 

1) To install it, follow the instructions here: http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=2&subtabid=25&i=957.

2) Then, enable windows authentication for your site, either using the new Administration tool (start>run>inetmgr.exe) or using command line as follows:

> %systemdrive%\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Default Web Site/myapp" /section:windowsAuthentication /enabled:true

Where you replace "Default Web Site/myapp" with "MySiteName/myvirtualpath".

NOTE: if you have installer code that automatically enables windows authentication in the metabase, then you will need to install the optional "Compatibility" components to enable it to run.  You can use the manual steps above to enable windows authentication.

Thanks,

Mike Volodarsky
    CTO at LeanSentry
    Former IIS/ASP.NET PM

Oct 23, 2006 07:51 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

he's asking about the newly released IE7, not IIS ...  : )

Oct 24, 2006 01:53 AM|mvolo|LINK

I got selective reading bias :) WIth IE7, make sure your "Intranet settings" are turned on - otherwise IE wont authenticate you with your credentials on your intranet because it will treat intranet servers as internet servers.

Thanks,

Mike Volodarsky
    CTO at LeanSentry
    Former IIS/ASP.NET PM