We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Basic IIS publishing of Web ApplicationRSS

18 replies

Last post Mar 12, 2007 10:50 AM by JRG

• Basic IIS publishing of Web Application

Oct 18, 2006 12:05 PM|JRG|LINK

Hi all,

How can I publish from my computer a Web Application that uses a Database???

Big thanks,

JR

• Re: Basic IIS publishing of Web Application

Oct 18, 2006 04:10 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

Huh?  Can you be more specific?

Oct 18, 2006 05:40 PM|JRG|LINK

??? more specific??? Ok... I have made a Web Application that use a database to store and retreive data. I want a user to use my Web Application from the internet. I want them to access to my computer via HTTP protocol and run the Web Application. This same Web Application is on my computer and the SQL Server to.

Hope this is clear enought, thanks,

JR

Oct 19, 2006 01:08 AM|qbernard|LINK

In that case, just make your web application available to the Internet? do you have static IP ? If you are on dynamic, you can also try dynamic dns service just to get a url name for your visitor to browse to. Anyway - this is more towards networking question. so what you got to do is:

a) get connected to the Internet
    b) allow http request to your host.. so either on port forwarding, etc. just ensure requests are forwarded and no firewall/etc is blocking the request.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Oct 19, 2006 09:41 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

That's not at all what I thought you meant ... it sounded more like you were asking how to transfer your app code and database to a different server.

See also:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi1105.mspx#EHC

Oct 19, 2006 12:23 PM|JRG|LINK

Thanks... you guys are really helping me. Can you tell me how to test my router configuration? It looks like everything is ok but I can not load the page from an Internet computer though my router... I have made a Web Form, placed it on the IIS services, set security access for any anonymous client, the folder of the Web Form is set as Web Partaged... On the router I enabled Vitual HTTP server and route that to the local network IP of my server computer. I am using an other computer on my router to access the Web Form using;

HTTP://[router IP#]/[Web Form folder]/[Web Forn Name].aspx

You help is very welcome,

JR

Oct 19, 2006 01:19 PM|JRG|LINK

Oct 19, 2006 01:32 PM|JRG|LINK

I am running an Authentification test and an error message is there all the time..."must be domain member" ??? Is that the incomming HTTP computer is not a member of the IIS group for this Web Form?!?!? My server workgroup is "YXGroup" and the IIS session seems to by Homegroup!?!?

I have a tone of error message on the Server Permission section "BUILTIN\Utilisateurs does not have 'READ | EXECUTE' access to xxx"

JR

Oct 19, 2006 03:28 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

[quote user="JRG"] Thanks... you guys are really helping me. Can you tell me how to test my router configuration? It looks like everything is ok but I can not load the page from an Internet computer though my router... I have made a Web Form, placed it on the IIS services, set security access for any anonymous client, the folder of the Web Form is set as Web Partaged... On the router I enabled Vitual HTTP server and route that to the local network IP of my server computer. I am using an other computer on my router to access the Web Form using;

HTTP://[router IP#]/[Web Form folder]/[Web Forn Name].aspx

If you're accessing via your local network, don't use the router IP, use the local/internal IP of the server. You would only use the router WAN IP if you were accessing from the internet.

Oct 19, 2006 04:59 PM|JRG|LINK

I am accessing from the internet... with an other computer using my router's IP#. My router has a virtual HTTP server that is running and that maps all HTTP communications to an other computer on my network that serves as a server of IIS. It is the configuration of that service (IIS) that I am having trouble with.

JR

Nov 08, 2006 07:02 PM|testdebug|LINK

To Tomkmvp. I just sign in new user and is my first post and i am a newbie to iis.

I want to achieve the same thing as JRG. To publish a website n use my laptop as a server. I am using a laptop with windows XP pro service pack2 installed. i installed the IIs with www services enabled.

i create a aspx website with visual studio.net n press debug to check my website is ok. then i press publish it. After that i disable my pc and my router firewall. at my router, i put port forwarding 8080 to my pc ip address. Is the port number correct?

i use my pocket pc and type http://[myinternetip]/[mywebfoldername]/mywebname.aspx

but fail to connect. My pc have password protected. Is this the problem? i got enabled web sharing for this folder. This is my first attempt to publish a web to my own pc. After strugling for more than five hours yesterday. I resign and sign in as a new user here in hope of hearing expert voice. I check my services. Asp.net service is running. Please help me. A million thanks.

Nov 08, 2006 08:05 PM|testdebug|LINK

i check my IIs version. it is ver5.1. Is this the problem. and it is running on port 80. so i set my router to this port still fail. i already can access the web from internal lan but not external.

Even internal lan got problem. the web say "The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://192.168.0.10/daren/index.aspx'. Line 1, Po...

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="index.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>
    -^

Dont know what is the problem. please help thanks. my web i just put a few words without anything just to test purpose.

Nov 08, 2006 08:48 PM|qbernard|LINK

No, before we even try remote from the Internet.

a) ensure it is working locally first.  It looks like ur .net framework is not registered properly. try this.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/bernard/archive/2006/03/30/88491.aspx

b) then test browse http://localhost/daren/index.aspx

c) after it is working, test from remote host via the internet.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 09, 2006 08:44 AM|testdebug|LINK

Many thanks to qbernald. after reinstall microsoft framework2. everything is ok. the internal lan is ok.

But i still cannot access my web from the internet. now is it everything is ok, only networking issue? If it is only left the networking part. do you know how to resolve it. i am very sure what is my local and my internet ip as i can use my pocket pc to vnc my laptop.

So i put http://[myinternetip]/daren/index.aspx on my pocket pc internet explorer but still cannot connect.

in my router, i put port forwarding to my local ip on port 80 or 8080. i tried both port still cannot. what have i miss?

Thanks.

Nov 09, 2006 10:10 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

What port is IIS running on?  8080?  If so, then you need to include that in your URL.

http://[myinternetip]:8080/daren/index.aspx

Nov 09, 2006 07:40 PM|testdebug|LINK

i am very happy. finally i succedd. Thanks to all the people here. after i go to control panel. open the internet service. click on default website, open property, select my local ip n change the port to 8080. Finally it work. Million thanks. bye. see you guys.

Nov 21, 2006 11:43 PM|JRG|LINK

My internet servicer block communication using port 80... I had to route HTTP communication to an other port... I used no-ip.com to map a WWW name to my router IP address...I am using WIndows Server 2003 because it uses ISS 6.0... I do not like ISS 5.1...

JR

Nov 22, 2006 08:25 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

It is common for broadband ISPs to block port 80 as it usually violates their ToS to run a web server.

Mar 12, 2007 10:50 AM|JRG|LINK

qbernard!!! Did you posted on JAVA forum before? I believe that I know you from there... I help you work on sizing Objects in objects depending on the text inside using FontMetric!?!?!?

JR