HTTP SSL Service missing - how to reinstall?RSS

5 replies

Last post Sep 20, 2006 09:58 AM by juksu

• HTTP SSL Service missing - how to reinstall?

Sep 05, 2006 09:11 AM|juksu|LINK

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue on several W2k3+IIS6 boxes.

WWW Service fails to start, HTTP SSL service is missing...

Event Log (System):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7003
    Date:  5/09/2006
    Time:  11:59:59
    User:  N/A
    Computer: ******
    Description:
    The World Wide Web Publishing Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: HTTPFilter

LSASS.EXE is present at c:\windows\system32\

The antivirus software had a malformed virus signature file (CA ETrust Antivirus, see http://supportconnect.ca.com/sc/kb/techdetail.jsp?searchID=TEC405236&docid=405236&bypass=yes&fromscreen=kbresults)

But according to that article, only VET engine has this malfunction. VET engine is not used on these boxes.

Question is: How can I reinstall HTTP SSL service, hopefully without any major changes to server?

Reinstalling SP1 does not help (as suggested somewhere...)

Thanks in advance,

BR,

-Juksu-

• Re: HTTP SSL Service missing - how to reinstall?

Sep 09, 2006 10:51 PM|perrin_wolf|LINK

I to am running CA ETrust Antivirus only on a SBS 2003 server and I also am getting the excet error message and can not start IIS. 

Sep 09, 2006 11:38 PM|perrin_wolf|LINK

see this link for more info and link to fix

CA Antivirus Deletes Windows 2003 File - Fix

http://expressions.sadasystems.com/index.php/sadaspeaks/ca_antivirus_deletes_windows_2003_file_fix/

Sep 10, 2006 09:19 PM|scott@ngtec.com|LINK

I to have had this problem with IIS.  I was using the Vet engine to do drive scans so I changed the scan engine and stopped all jobs.  This fixed my issue and the system was able to update to the new Etrust vet engine.  I went back to the original drive scan settings after downloading and pushing the new vet signature to all my systems.  IIS still will not start even after uninstalling all WSUS and IIS components and reinstalling.

Ideas, anyone.

Has anyone actually replaced the lsass.exe via the CA instructions???

Sep 10, 2006 09:44 PM|scott@ngtec.com|LINK

I just figured out the issue,  the HTTPFilter service registry entry was partially removed.  I exported it from another working W2k3 server running IIS and imported into the non-functioning system.  The service appears to have started and IIS does appear to be running. 

You should be able to do this without reinstalling any services like I already have.

Good luck..

Sep 20, 2006 09:58 AM|juksu|LINK

Worked for me, many thanks!

Cheers,

-Juksu-