We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

FrontPage Extensions for IIS7 & VistaRSS

8 replies

Last post Nov 06, 2008 06:52 AM by Sarveshwer

• FrontPage Extensions for IIS7 & Vista

Jul 25, 2006 05:45 PM|swazal|LINK

I'm not finding a lot of information one way or the other as to whether the FPSE is supported under IIS7 and, if so, how to go about installing it.  Following the steps for IIS6 as best I can under Vista (with its different interface and processes) and there's really no way to pick the FPSE as an installable option.  I'm also not finding anything that says FPSE (or WebDAV?) will not be supported for IIS7.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks,
    Mike McKinlay
    swaza1@yahoo.com

• Re: FrontPage Extensions for IIS7 & Vista

Jul 30, 2006 09:34 PM|thomad|LINK

Mike,

Both FPSE and WebDAV are not shipped with Vista. We are working on replacement technologies for IIS7 on Longhorn Server.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Deml
    Group Program Manager
    Internet Information Services
    Microsoft Corp.

Aug 11, 2006 04:37 PM|swazal|LINK

It does .... at least it tells me I'm not "just not getting it" when I go to install either.

But does that mean FrontPage extensions won't run at all on Vista?  What does Microsoft plan to do with FrontPage, then?  Using FrontPage with SharePoint (for example) is an important tool for customization for non-programmers.

What tools will work for authoring (exception: Notepad, which I do use on occasion) with the IIS7 on Vista?

Sep 23, 2006 06:53 PM|rstrahl|LINK

The Sharepoint Designer or Expression Web Designer will be the replacements for FrontPage and it will work fine on Vista.

However, this still leaves a big hole for Visual Studio 2003 and Web Projects which currently seem to not be able to be opened on Vista RC1...

+++ Rick ---

Rick Strahl
    West Wind Technologies
    Making waves on the Web
    www.west-wind.com/weblog

Oct 26, 2006 12:50 AM|richleah|LINK

I am running Vista Ultimate RC2 and VS 2005 Web Express. I installed IIS in Vista and turned on ASP.NET applications. I go into VS 2005 and try and create a new website for http://localhost/TestWebSite and I get the error: "Unable to create the Web 'http://localhost/TestWebSite'. The Web server does not appear to have the FrontPage extensions installed."

Any help for me on this?

Richard

Richard Williams

Oct 26, 2006 02:53 AM|thomad|LINK

There are a couple of things you need to be aware of:

1) You need to install the "IIS6 Metabase and IIS6 configuration compatibility" feature. VS 2005 is using the underlying API's to connect to an IIS application in IIS.

2) You have to run VS 2005 as "elevated" . To do that go to the VS icon in the "Start" menu, right click, Properties and hit the "Advanced" button. click "Run as Administrator". This will make sure that VS always runs "elevated". If you don't do this you are not an Administrator and you don't get access to IIS.

3) What VS calls a "Web Site" is called a "Web Application" or simply an "application" in IIS. Why? Both products have a large user base and a lot of history and it's incredibly hard to change the nomenclature once it is established.

4) Hit the "Browse" button when you go through the VS2005 "New Web Site" wizard. There will be an icon on the left side saying "Local IIS Server". Select an web application from there and use it. You CAN'T create an application though. Only FPSE allowed this over HTTP. You have to use the IIS User Interface or you use the following command:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd add app -site.name:"Default Web Site" -path:/TestWebsite -physicalPath:c:\inetpub\wwwroot\TestWebSite

Make sure you created the directory you specify in /physicalPath before.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Deml
    Group Program Manager
    Internet Information Services
    Microsoft Corp.

Oct 29, 2006 12:46 AM|chanmmn|LINK

Thanks Thomas,

I have been struggling to open a web site for months. The same way solved my frontpage extension error when creating website as well.

Regards,

chanmm (Ming Man, Chan) 

chanmm

Nov 02, 2006 11:54 AM|glennforum|LINK

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the information.  It certainly cleared up a problem that I have been having on RC2 (Vista).  I have finally managed to get a solution into VS 2005 but keep getting "Unable to start debugging on the web server.  Debugging failed because integrated Windows authentication is not enabled...

Did I miss something to solve this?

PS - The solution is a demo from a component set I am developing and the folders and files were created with the install package.

PSS - VS is running as administrator, and my user is an adminstrator.

PSSS - I cannot seem to find the authentication methods setting under advanced settings (like the old days) - Is that what I should be trying to fix?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Glenn

vs2005 vs2k5 vista visual studio 2005 rc1 IIS7 Vista

Nov 06, 2008 06:52 AM|Sarveshwer|LINK

thanks it was very much helpful