We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Can browse from LAN but not from outside?RSS

10 replies

Last post Nov 21, 2006 01:51 PM by k1w1

• Can browse from LAN but not from outside?

Jun 18, 2006 06:15 PM|jtzako|LINK

I have my web server running on a PC on my lan. I can browse to the website by domain or by IP from either PC (public IP).  Yet nobody outside my LAN can browse or ping the site.

I have set my dlink router to allow the port 80 traffic, I've even tried 8080 and 23 just for kicks.  None allow the site to load from any computer outside my LAN.

There is no firewall running on my PC btw.

Any clues?  Is IIS 7 somehow detecting that Im "local" even though I use public numbers? Could it be blocking outside access somehow?  Ive not had this problem before in IIS6 so Im stumped..

I forgot to include, the FTP site (same domain and IP) works fine.  Of course it uses IIS6....

• Re: Can browse from LAN but not from outside?

Jun 18, 2006 07:55 PM|brashquido|LINK

Your router is probably blocking ICMP traffic which would explain why ping isn't working outside of your LAN, not sure what might be causing the block on HTTP traffic though. Few things to suggest;

1) Ensure your ISP is not blocking traffic (I'd doubt this if FTP is working and you've already tried serving HTTP on other ports)

2) Use Netstat to verify that IIS7 is bound correctly

3) Check your IIS logs to see if requests are making it that far. If external requests are getting as far as IIS7, then you should see something here.

----------------
    Dominic Ryan
    Microsoft IIS MVP
    IIS Aid
    IIS and Open Source

Jun 18, 2006 08:11 PM|jtzako|LINK

Assuming Im looking in the right log...  \inetpub\logs\LogFiles\w3svc1  and looking at the dated file.. I dont see anything external hitting the server...  Which is odd since i have ports forwarded for 80, 8080 and 23 as well as 21.

a sample of what I see when I access the site internally using the actual public domain name...

2006-06-19 00:04:07 192.168.0.101 GET /coppermine/index.php - 80 - (my public IP) Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+MSDigitalLocker+Vista+1.3;+SV1;+SLCC1;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+Media+Center+PC+5.0;+WinFX+RunTime+3.0.50727) 200 0 0
    2006-06-19 00:04:07 192.168.0.101 GET /coppermine/themes/rainy_day/style.css - 80 - (my public IP) Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+MSDigitalLocker+Vista+1.3;+SV1;+SLCC1;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+Media+Center+PC+5.0;+WinFX+RunTime+3.0.50727) 304 0 0

Jun 18, 2006 08:44 PM|jtzako|LINK

BTW, would it be unusual that I dont see the "log" entry for any of my other PCs on the LAN when they successfully access the site?  I can see what appears to be some logs of the "coppermine" PHP app accessing files but thats all I get.

Jun 19, 2006 12:32 AM|brashquido|LINK

Something is not quite right there. I can understand no external IP's showing, but can't understand why your other PC's that are sucessfully connecting aren't being logged. Do you know exactly what error message people are getting when trying to connect externally? Are you sure there isn't any other webservers operating in your LAN?
    ----------------
    Dominic Ryan
    Microsoft IIS MVP
    IIS Aid
    IIS and Open Source

Jun 19, 2006 01:10 AM|jtzako|LINK

Ive only got 4 computers on this lan and definitely no other servers.  If outsiders try to access the website they just get page cannot be displayed.  They can resolve the IP (DNS working) and they can get to the FTP server running in the IIS6 mode.

All 4 internal computers can access the site by the servers computer name, private IP, public IP and URL.  None of those methods make any entry in the log file I mentioned earlier... the only thing that does is the normal "coppermine" PHP actions (those only show up when the web server starts up and activates coppermine).

For whatever reason there are no logs of web events except "failed attempts" that actually hit the server (i.e. 404 etc)

Jun 20, 2006 10:53 PM|jtzako|LINK

I still havent figured this one out. My router is set to forward traffic from 8080 21 and 23 to port 80 on my "servers" internal IP. I can hit all those ports from any computer on my lan but nobody from the outside world can hit any of them. However, anyone can get to the FTP server (same computer)... When I access the website from LAN computers nothing shows up in the logs (could the be configured wrong? who do I check/verify). Also, nothing appears in the log for outsiders trying to get to the server. Given that people can get through to the FTP Im relatively sure the router is setup correctly. Ive even deleted and recreated the rules, including the FTP port rule just to be sure. I have no firewall on the server, I've even turned off windows firewall to make sure.

Jun 20, 2006 11:47 PM|brashquido|LINK

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Can you check something for me? Could you open up your IIS7 Admin Panel, and then double click on the logging icon. Could you please verify that logging is enabled, and that it is set to log all requests (not just failed or successful), and finally under "Logging Service"  select per site logging using the W3C textual format.

One more thing, are you able to put a simple "hello world" style HTML page in your website root directory? Are people able to access that externally? If you are using PHP, can you goto the "Handler Mappings" icon in the IIS7 control panel and tell me if your PHP script mapping is using using a CGI or ISAPI? If the PHP script mapping is pointing to a .exe file then it should be CGI, if it is pointing to a .dll file it should be ISAPI.
    ----------------
    Dominic Ryan
    Microsoft IIS MVP
    IIS Aid
    IIS and Open Source

Jun 21, 2006 02:34 AM|jtzako|LINK

Ok. I managed to get this working I think.  Though I do not know why it suddenly started working since I dont think I made any significant changes.

Now I do see log entries but I didnt change logging at all.  I see his external IP show up in the log for the various files he touched.

One thing, which may or may not be related, is I keep getting this error:

"iis worker process has stopped working was closed" and if I click the baloon it says it was closed by DEP (data execution prevention).  I havent been able to see any problem associated with that process stopping but it pops up a few times a day for some reason.

Nov 21, 2006 01:02 PM|k1w1|LINK

I'd like to know what 'unsignificant changes' you made, as I have the same problem.

Running VISTA RC2, as an upgrade from RC1. IIS was working fine under RC1. After the upgrade, I got the following error: "The Windows Process Activation Service encountered an error trying to read
    configuration data for config section
    'system.applicationHost/applicationPools' from file
    '\\?\C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config', line number
    '108'.  The error message is: 'The 'password' attribute is invalid."

I managed to resolve this, basically by removing the offending line. I tested and found the applicationhost.config.clean.install file worked, or at least allowed the services to start, and after removing the offending line from my existing applicationhost.config file, got IIS and my website up and running locally.

Access from anyone over the internet simply gives a page cannot be found.

I don't *seem* to have a logging option in IIS? Log files in the system32\logfiles directory are showing no signs of the failed requests.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Nov 21, 2006 01:51 PM|k1w1|LINK

Doh! Slap me for not checking the basics. Turns out the install had reset the fixed IP address set on my computer. It had been a looong day...

All sorted.