View Complete Thread
  • IIS 10.0 on Windows 10 - beginner needs enable "server side includes" (simple)

Nov 12, 2019 03:12 PM|wb0gaz|LINK

I am a beginner using IIS 10.0 on Windows 10 to serve a simple set of HTML pages to local (127.0.0.1) user. There are no add-ons and no changes to IIS 10.0 configuration (except to set up binding for my set of web pages). This is working well.

I need to use "server side includes" so I can consolidate redundant content among a set of HTML pages.

QUESTION 1: What are the steps needed to enable this capability in the environment I am using?

My attempt so far (which is not successful - the include files instructions which look like HTML comments are ignored) entailed adding server side includes (via control panel -> programs and features -> turn windows features on or off -> iis -> www services -> application development features -> server-side includes). I also added (in the same pane) ASP and ISAPI extensions (for no good reason except that was suggested via my prior searching before landing here.)

QUESTION 2: Can my html files remain extension .html, or must they change to .asp or something else? If I am compelled to change to .asp, is there any other change needed to my .html file content (which is very basic - no scripting, no embedded applications, just straight HTML and CSS.)?

Thank you!