View Complete Thread
  • IIS10 beginner needs help getting server side include working (simple case)

Nov 11, 2019 03:18 PM|wb0gaz|LINK

I am beginner with IIS (my first experience with IIS is on a windows 10 laptop.) I am currently using IIS10 (on Windows 10) to serve a very simple HTML page to local host user (127.0.0.1:portnumber.) So far it is working.

Now, I would like to use server side include (SSI) so that common content among a small number of pages in my server can share the same HTML text (avoids re-editing many files when making a change in this area.) As I understand this makes use of ASP (for which I have zero experience), I looked briefly at ASP and think this might be helpful in the future for other purposes, so I'm diving into this area without any previous knowledge (beyond editing HTML files and using IIS for the first time at beginner level.)

In Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on/off -> IIS -> WWW Services -> Application Development Features, I currently have ASP, ISAPI Features, and Server-Side includes checked. All other settings are as originally installed.

Symptoms:

If I add #include directive in my index.html file, the #include directive is ignored - the #include directive is formed from a modified HTML comment and I believe I've formatted it properly (I'm just trying include a different file from within the index.html file; both files are in the same directory on the windows 10 machine.)

<!--#include file="ToBeInserted.html"-->

If I copied my index.html file to index.asp (no changes in content, just making a new file up with .ASP), then access the file from browser, I get IIS 10.0 Detailed Error - 404.3 - The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map. As the file is not displayed on the browser at all, I cannot determine what would happen if it encountered the #include directive.

Many thanks for beginner-level help in getting this working!

Dave