We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

View Complete Thread
  • Re: Continue Supporting Classic ASP Indefinitely

Dec 03, 2014 01:46 AM|dustinn77|LINK

jeff@zina.com

3)  ASP Classic is just a script and an an interpreter.  It's not maintained, not updated and doesn't need any support in IIS terms.  Why would it magically go away?

Because that's the Microsoft way.  Prime example, my HTC HD2 Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.  I bought it from T-Mobile, was still under my 2 year contract window, when Microsoft announced they were discontinuing the Windows Marketplace for Windows Mobile and shut it down.  Pleas from many of 6.5 users fell on deaf ears to at least minimally keep it open for existing apps until at least another year when our 2 year lifecycle on our contacts expired.  And it was ironic since the OS was, essentially, still very much alive and still being marketed for years after that as Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5

And then it was discontinued.  And to get any sort of apps for WM 6.5, you had to utilize search engines.

Microsoft can be known to EOL things prematurely when they're just "done" with the product.  I honestly contemplated moving off the MS ecosystem at that point after being a MS cheerleader for so long.  It's frustrating as all get out when we buy in to things and MS decides to half ass it, discontinue it, and then end support for it and treat it like the drunk uncle who they wish wouldn't come around for the holidays. *cough Zune cough*

asp support iis