We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

View Complete Thread
  • Re: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request

Aug 03, 2009 05:01 PM|MattDuguid|LINK

We are seeing a similar issue with a recent move to Windows 2008 x64 Web Edition and IIS 7.0.

The servers are running .NET 3.5, .NET 3.5 SP1 and KB959209 (.NET SP1 update) and KB967535 (fixes a known request blocking issue which under certain circumstances caues the request queue to halt).

The number of errors are not huge compared to the number of page impressions we go through daily but something we'd still like to clean up.

The problem 

During ***some*** file uploads after a ***few seconds*** we get the following 500 error (located via failed request tracing),

Error = The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. (0x800703e3)

Error Code = 2147943395

Which produces the following exception,

Exception: [System.Web.HttpException] Request timed out.

Research

http://forums.iis.net/p/1149787/1871363.aspx
    Some articles suggest this is a known issue and fixed with the application of .NET SP1 (we have this applied). Could it be the bug has been reintroduced through the application of the additional service packs, rather unlikely but not impossible as I have seen this happen before with other products.

http://forums.asp.net/t/1248261.aspx
    Some articles suggest that the client is simply disconnecting their session which causes an exception at the server and is not being handled correctly. There are some code workarounds but the concensus seems to be that these are just covering up the issue and not fixing the root cause.

Some articles suggest the execution timeout is being exceeded, in our case this is 90 seconds and in the traces I have seen to date the issue can happen in less than 15 seconds.

Ideas

If you have experienced the same issue and have possible ideas for solutions please let us know.

0x800703E3 2147943395 .net sp1 [System.Web.HttpException] Request timed out file upload The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request