We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

View Complete Thread
  • The Module DLL C:\Windows\system32\RpcProxy\RpcProxy.dll failed to load

Jan 07, 2009 06:38 PM|john_burrows|LINK

HI

I am just posting a solution which took me days to work out and is as usual such a simple fix WHICH I THINK should be fixed by Microsoft.  Thanks also to Anil Ruia for tips on how to fix this

Scenario:

64Bit IIS7 running a 32Bit application so Enable 32Bit is set to true on the application pool
    Also running as an exchange front end server and hence RPCProxy is loaded

In this scenario you might get the errors

In IE -
    "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable."

In the event viewer-
    "The Module DLL C:\Windows\system32\RpcProxy\RpcProxy.dll failed to load. The data is the error."
    and
    "Application pool 'xxxxxxxxx' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool."

Essentially the rpcpoxy is trying to load into the 32bit pool.  The question I have i guess is why is this dll trying to load in the first place.  It's not part of my application.  Anyway to fix this issue:

Edit  c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationhost.config

In the section which has <globalmodules> add -  precondition="bitness64" to the rpcproxy line so that you have the following

<add name="PasswordExpiryModule" image="C:\Windows\system32\RpcProxy\RpcProxy.dll" preCondition="bitness64" />

Hope this helps others