We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

View Complete Thread
  • ASP.NET Configuration (HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found)

Sep 21, 2006 12:41 PM|jbristowe|LINK

I am unable to serve up an ASP.NET page from IIS 7.0 on Windows Vista RC 1 (Ultimate Edition). Requests for an ASP.NET page (i.e. default.aspx) return the following message:

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found

Description: The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) map policy that is configured on the Web server. The page you requested has a file name extension that is not recognized, and is not allowed.

Error Code: 0x80070032

ASP.NET is installed and enabled on IIS 7.0 (via the "Windows Features" applet in the Control Panel). When I examine the handler mappings for the machine (itself), the following entries are listed:

PageHandlerFactory-Integrated | *.aspx | Enabled | Unspecified | System.Web.UI.SimpleHandlerFactory | Local

PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-1.1 | *.aspx | Enabled | Unspecified | IsapiModule | Local

PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-2.0 | *.aspx | Enabled | Unspecified | IsapiModule | Local

Note: These entries (above) are not listed for the default Web site or any of its applications. (I can only assume that they are inherited.)

When I explicitly add a handler for the path, "*.aspx" to one of my applications, the error no longer appears. However, the ASP.NET does not appear to execute. (The content served back from IIS 7.0 is empty.)

I would appreciate any advice to help resolve this issue.

"ASP.NET" Configuration "IIS 7.0"