Downloading hangs most of the timeRSS

3 replies

Last post Nov 02, 2020 07:40 AM by binbin

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›
  • Downloading hangs most of the time

Oct 26, 2020 09:09 PM|binbin|LINK

Hello there,

I am trying to migrate a Classic ASP web application from Windows 2008 to Windows 2016. I did a POC on a Windows 2016 server first and it works fine. But on our new production candidate server, the file downloading hangs at a certain point. After the server restarts, sometimes downloading works for the first time. But after that, it hangs at a certain point. For example, at 8.9MB, every time when I was trying to download the report, it always hang at 8.9MB. But if I restarted the server, it will work for the first time and hangs at a different point. I compared this server with the POC server which was working. The IIS settings and classic ASP code is exactly the same. 

I tried fiddler and there is no error from the server. It just stops downloading at certain point and eventually failed with "network error". 

The code is classic ASP code with IIS 10.

Can you please help?

Thank you very much

Bin 

• Re: Downloading hangs most of the time

Oct 27, 2020 03:26 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi Bin,

Could you please share which kind of report you are downloading, what is the file extension? what is the site max allowed content length? did you try a different browser? what is iis execution time out setting? try to access another website on the same machine. check the vent viewer log. capture the network packet using the network monitor, Wireshark, etc.

.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Nov 02, 2020 07:15 AM|binbin|LINK

Hello Jalpa,

The report is an Excel file. The extension name is xls. In the class ASP code, the Excel file was rendered. I tried different browsers. The file downloading are stopped at exactly the same time. For example, right now, the file downloading hangs up 1,408K. The downloading on all browser will be hanging at 1408K. If I restart the server, it may hang at a different point. Again, with all browsers the downloading hangs at the same point.

I tried Fiddler4. There is no error message when the downloading hangs. 

The execution time out "Server. ScriptTimeout" is set to 1200, which is 20 minutes.

In web.config, the maxAllowedContentLength is set to 3GB. The maxRequestLength is set to 500MB, which is much bigger than all report files.

There is no error in event log. 

Can you please let me know how I can proceed on this?

Thank you very much

Bin

Nov 02, 2020 07:40 AM|binbin|LINK

I used Wireshark. I saw messages like these

4462    1.060722    9.163.56.187    10.183.112.133    TCP    66    [TCP Dup ACK 4461#1] 52776 → 443 [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=178418 Win=2064 Len=0 SLE=178458 SRE=178512

4465    1.060883    10.183.112.133    9.163.56.187    TLSv1.2    1404    [TCP Fast Retransmission] , Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data, Application Data

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›