Setup a host prefix at binding for CNAME? [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Oct 10, 2020 03:40 PM by AG70

• Setup a host prefix at binding for CNAME?

Oct 02, 2020 02:00 PM|AG70|LINK

Hi,

With IIS 10 I have a website on the Default Web Site let's say mydomain.com

I have added a new subdomain website with the name MyDomainSite and here for Binding I would like to set Host name to only one word let's say "xyz" instead of xyz.mydomain.com and that is because I would that each domain DNS that is configure with CNAME that it's host is xyz so for example xyz.domain1.com, xyz.domain2.com, xyz.domain3.com pointing to xyz.mydomain.com will arrived to xyz.mydomain.com instead of Default Web Site.

Currently if I want to do that I need to create Binding for each domain and I would like to avoid that.

Thanks in Advanced,

AG

• Rovastar Rovastar

5482 Posts

MVP

Re: Setup a host prefix at binding for CNAME?

Oct 02, 2020 03:03 PM|Rovastar|LINK

No you cannot do that. Only the left most sub domain can be used in this wildcard way. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/get-started/whats-new-in-iis-10/wildcard-host-header-support

So *.mydomain.com can be used but not mysite.*.com

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: Setup a host prefix at binding for CNAME?

Oct 09, 2020 09:26 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

Is your issue solved?

If your issue is solved then I request you to mark the helpful suggestion as an answer. This will help other people who face the same issue.

If your issue still exists then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Jalpa.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
  • Re: Setup a host prefix at binding for CNAME?

Oct 10, 2020 03:40 PM|AG70|LINK

Thanks for your suggestion. I have ended up declaring binding for each host.