Site only works on server but not remotelyRSS

5 replies

Last post Sep 17, 2020 12:56 PM by hampdentech

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›
  • Site only works on server but not remotely

Sep 15, 2020 05:57 PM|hampdentech|LINK

I have a site that works fine on the server itself. I can browse to the site from within IIS or by launching a browser.

I have tested DNS and that is not the issue. I was able to create another site with a single, simple HTML page and the site was then accessible outside of the server. I believe it is either a configuration issue with IIS or maybe a problem with the application itself. It is an ASP.NET 4.6 application.

The error when I try to navigate to the site externally is "404 - not found".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Site only works on server but not remotely

Sep 16, 2020 07:31 AM|Brucz|LINK

Hi hampdentech,

You can use command prompt to ping your remote server to see whether you can get reply.

Also, enable the remote management services.

If you can access the site from the server itself but not remotely, it is likely that the firewall is blocking external access to this port. 
    Windows Firewall blocks the World Wide Web Services port by default. With this port blocked, other machines cannot connected to web server. This severely limits the scope of potential web site viewers. So, in order to show your web site and server to the outside world you must add an exception to the windows Firewall.

1.Click Start and type firewall into the Search bar and press enter. (Note: Make sure you select Windows Firewall and not Windows Firewall with Advanced Security) 

2.Click Advanced settings

3.Click inbound rules and new rule. Check port

4.Enter your site’s port

5.Then check allow the connection and rule

6.Fill in name and description.

Best regards,
    Burcz

Sep 16, 2020 12:57 PM|hampdentech|LINK

Hi Brucz,

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe this is a problem pinging the server or a port issue. I think in my original post I mentioned that by setting up a simple HTML page on a new site in IIS and binding it to the same web address, the page loaded fine, so it is getting to the server by the web address. The issue is when I try to bind the web address (www.phanetworktest.com) to the ASP.NET application.

I should also note that there is another version of this application under ASP.NET 3.5, some ASP.NET MVC applications, classic ASP application and a few arbitrary sites running on this same server, so I also don't believe this is an IIS setup issue.

I do appreciate your input.

Bob

Sep 17, 2020 01:37 AM|lextm|LINK

hampdentech

I have a site that works fine on the server itself.

What kind of site? If you don't show a detailed report like the one generated by Binding Diagnostics, https://docs.jexusmanager.com/tutorials/binding-diagnostics.html#background I don't think you have a proper site set up.

hampdentech

I have tested DNS and that is not the issue.

On which machine did you test DNS? What command did you use? Something like "nslookup somesite.com"? What's the command line output?

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sep 17, 2020 08:29 AM|Brucz|LINK

Hi hampdentech,

Could you tell me what kind of site you deployed? .net mvc, web form, .net core or any other application. What kind of version of this application you delpoyed?

I have encountered similar problems in the past. The reason was that the request did not enter the corresponding processing module after entering the iis, and it needs to be set in the webconfig of the application to solve it.

Best regards,

Brucz

Sep 17, 2020 12:56 PM|hampdentech|LINK

Hi Brucz,

The site in question is an ASP.NET web application using .NET version 4.6. I also have a version of this application currently in production using .NET version 3.5.

In addition, there are two .NET MVC applications deployed on this server, and another ASP.NET web application using .NET version 4.6.

What type of change did you have to make to the web.config file?

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›