A/B site setup assitanceRSS

5 replies

Last post Mar 05, 2020 05:30 PM by Quest John

• A/B site setup assitance

Feb 17, 2020 04:26 PM|Quest John|LINK

Windows Server 2012 R2 IIS 8.5 with URL Rewrite and AAR already installed. We have a current website and it is being completely redesigned. I have been directed to find a way to take incoming traffic (say www.ourdomain.moc) and based upon set parameters direct 50% of traffic to the existing website and 50% to the new website. The premise is that if customer feedback for those directed to the new website is not positive, then the new website will be taken down and revamped and then put back up. Eventually, after about 6 months of positive on the new website, the existing website will be shut down and all traffic will go to the new website. A key requirement/request by my boss is that the host name for the user does not change. I am not a web programmer or IIS guru, I am a network administrator. Any help/ideas are appreciated.
  • Re: A/B site setup assitance

Feb 18, 2020 02:33 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

In my opinion, the only way to achieve your requirement is iis web farm load balancing but it is not recommended way because both the sites are different it may create some issue. you ould host the old site as a virtual directory in IIS and try to access it.eg you can host the new site as www.domain.com and old site as www.domain.com/old or set the link of the od site in new site home page so the users can also visit that site and gives you feedback.

you could refer below link for how to set load balancing in iis:

https://forums.iis.net/post/2156701.aspx

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Feb 18, 2020 06:07 PM|Quest John|LINK

OK I will review that. In the mean time, I had previously found this blog and instructions and have tried it and it is not working, I keep getting the shell site meaning the URL Rewite at the server level is either not working or the request is not getting there. Can some one review this and comment on it please: http://garrettwebedition.blogspot.com/2011/11/ab-testing-iis-sites-on-same-server.html
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5445 Posts

MVP

Re: A/B site setup assitance

Feb 18, 2020 06:25 PM|Rovastar|LINK

Like has been said it is not ideal and it would just feel better to be redirected to another site. Not that doing it that way is without problems. I still have a few site that have slowly kept temporary naming conventions /new directory or addition subdomains like mysite2.mywebsite.com for the same content.

It is never easy doing changes like this and to be honest it is filled with problems (especially for such long time periods as you are suggesting)  and to be honest that is why so few will try it your way. Much better to offer a (private) beta where you say do you want to try an example of our new site and goto a new site and when happy with the tests move everyone to the new site.

But you also need to do a few more things not in Jalpa's answer.

You will need to "force" the client browser to hot the same server for each request. Otherwise you will get one from one server and the next request from the other where the file might not exist or is different.

To do this goto Server Affinity and click Client Affinity

There are probably going to a load of issues so I suggest really getting to know and understanding Load balancing in general as you have never tried it before. Machine Key need to be the same depending on the technology used for example.

And you will have crazy issues with people any links/bookmarking the pages.

Old bookmarks/links will not work on the new site (if they hot it they may be ok) and if people goto the new site their bookmarks will not work or links in general sharing them on facebook, whatapp, websites.

You will be in world of pain. The more I think about the more I would tell those above you they are wrong to do it thsi way,.

The only way is to make sure every link/page is both backwards and forwards compatible with each version of the site which is nearly impossible with the same actual site.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5445 Posts

MVP

Re: A/B site setup assitance

Feb 18, 2020 06:28 PM|Rovastar|LINK

I have just read your reply and you are trying to do all thia on the same server.

Don't. I'm not even sure it is possible have separate boxes for everything otherwise things get stupidity complex.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Mar 05, 2020 05:30 PM|Quest John|LINK

OK, after providing all the information I received on various forums to my boss and going back and forth with him, I just received this note from him that leaves me shaking my head: "Conference call with thridpartyvendor is complete. We do NOT need to have both sites running in parallel. There was a misunderstand on what testing we need to accomplish. We will most likely use the tool Visual Website Optimizer."