Application Pool's default recycling time array not applyingRSS

6 replies

Last post Nov 15, 2019 09:16 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• Application Pool's default recycling time array not applying

Oct 27, 2019 10:31 PM|coolchuck|LINK

Hello,
    I'm having a following issue with IIS 10.0.14393.0 on WinServer 2016; when adding a new pool via the IIS Manager, the Specific Times array of Recycling option will not apply to the just added pool's configuration. Other settings, however, are applied correctly. It used to work until we reached certain number of pools (I suppose). Note that the server is running 100+ AppPools.

The config seems to be saved correctly under C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config

<applicationPoolDefaults managedRuntimeVersion="v4.0">
    <processModel identityType="ApplicationPoolIdentity" pingInterval="00:00:30" />
    <recycling>
    <periodicRestart time="00:00:00">
    <schedule>
    <clear />
    <add value="19:30:00" />
    </schedule>
    </periodicRestart>
    </recycling>
    </applicationPoolDefaults>

I've also tried updating the system, setting it up with Powershell, still occuring. Event logs don't show anything wrong.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Rovastar Rovastar

5468 Posts

MVP

Re: Application Pool's default recycling time array not applying

Oct 28, 2019 01:45 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Is you worker process actually running when the restart time occurs?
    Turn on all recycling logging so you know when the worker process are started and stopped.
    Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: Application Pool's default recycling time array not applying

Oct 28, 2019 05:48 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

to enable logging for iis application pool recycling follow the below steps:

1) Open IIS Manager on the expands the server name | Application Pools.

2) select "set application pool defaults" from action pane.

3) Expand "Generate Recycle Event Log Entry" then set the desired child nodes to True, then click OK.

4) Now to view any Application Pool recycle events, simply open the Event Viewer and click on the standard System event log.

5) To view, only Application Pool recycle events, add a filter to only include an event source of "WAS"

6. You should now see all the events:

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Oct 28, 2019 05:52 PM|coolchuck|LINK

The mechanism itself is working correctly when applied to a pool. The recyle is scheduled at 19:30 and event log entries confirm it is happening.  The problem is that I have to add the "19:30" manually in 'Specific Times' to the newly created AppPool because it's not copied from the defaults for some reason, the array under 'Specific Times' is just empty.

Properties after creating a new AppPool

• Rovastar Rovastar

5468 Posts

MVP

Re: Application Pool's default recycling time array not applying

Oct 28, 2019 08:03 PM|Rovastar|LINK

Aha I see. I haven't checked but it could be something to do with the 100 pools as there is/was an issue with some time ago with another default no being passed using the correct info when there were 100+ pools.

https://forums.iis.net/t/1236559.aspx

It may have absolutely nothing to do with your issue but it could be related.

I would contact microsoft and open a support case if you think it is similar and a setting they have just missed so they can get on it.

And completely unrelated. I see in your screenshots you have Rapid_Fail Protection turned On. Generally that is a terrible idea as 5 errors will just shut your app down. Burns me too many time that default...

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Oct 30, 2019 12:25 PM|coolchuck|LINK

Yeah I've seen that topic. I will try to reproduce this bug on Server 2019.
    Thanks for the tip on fail protection

Nov 15, 2019 09:16 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Is your issue solved?

If your issue is solved then I request you to mark the helpful suggestion as an answer. This will help other people who face the same issue.

If your issue still exists then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.