Website Not Working - New Web Farm ServerRSS

4 replies

Last post Nov 26, 2019 03:16 PM by BradSherwin

  • Website Not Working - New Web Farm Server

    Oct 23, 2019 12:11 PM|BradSherwin|LINK

    Hi,

    I'm currently playing with IIS web farms in my test enviroment which uses Kemp LM as a LB.  Ive setup two servers which work fine so I already know my Shared Config, Shared Website, Shared Cert and Kemp are working as expected.

    However, when I build a new server I just cant seem to get the instance working.  In Chrome I'm getting the server refused to connect.

    As stated above, it can't be any of the shared folders as they work on other servers and I can enabled Shared Config and the website, app pool imports as exoected.  I've also confirmed on the effected server I can access the default website.  There are no eventvwr errors either when restarting the app pool.  Ive also ran Get-WindowsFeatures to compare to see if I was missing any roles/features and I'm not.

    I've ran a packet capture from the Kemp and I see the client hello sending to the box but theres no Server Hello as expected.  Running Netstat I see 0.0.0.0:443 is listening.  Windows FW is disabled.  I've ran CASPOL too on the box.

    During testing, I did have an issue with C:\inetpub\temp\appools\APPPOOLNAME on one of the working servers where the file was corrupt.  So I looked in the temp folder and I cannot see my app pool name folder on this box.  Checking my workign server there are no speical permissions that I can see and they're identical.

    Pretty stumped!!  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

    Many Thanks,

    Brad

  • Re: Website Not Working - New Web Farm Server

    Oct 24, 2019 08:56 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

    Hi  BradSherwin,

    1.Did you see connection refused error in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\HTTPERR?

    2.Could you access the website without Web farm? We need to figure out which part returned this error.

    3.could you get it work with http instead of https?

    4.Did you get error message in event viewer?

    5. Have you traced ssl handshake on the broken server?

    Best Regards,

    Jokies Ding

    Yuk Ding

    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
  • Re: Website Not Working - New Web Farm Server

    Nov 18, 2019 11:04 AM|BradSherwin|LINK

    Hi,

    I have a kemp load master in front of the web servers A, B, C.

    Web server A works fine.  But if I stop the app pool on A to test the functionality of the server B & C I get the empty response browser error.  Ive checked C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\HTTPERR and there are no recent errors.  Ive also checked C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles and I see the kemp health checking the URL with error 401 which is expected.  But when I try to connect, there are no logs generated in the above locations and nothing in eventvwr.

    Ive also TCP dumped the Kemp load master and I see that it is directing the requests to Server B (I only have that one enabled right now) and I see a client hello being sent to the server but thats it.  No reply.

    All the servers have the same IIS Central Config and Central SSL.

    Pretty stumped!   

    Brad

  • Rovastar Rovastar

    5420 Posts

    MVP

    Moderator

    Re: Website Not Working - New Web Farm Server

    Nov 19, 2019 01:43 PM|Rovastar|LINK

    Tbh it sounds like an issue with your load balancer.

    What happens when you directly connect to server A when the app pool is turned off?
    What hhtp response headers do you get?
    Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: Website Not Working - New Web Farm Server

    Nov 26, 2019 03:16 PM|BradSherwin|LINK

    I've managed to get the App Pool running.  What I don't understand is how I managed to get it running!

    When I build a new box and config IIS with CCS and Shared Config I get the browser error - failed client hello.  I can only get the server to respond if I go into bindings, editing the binding - I change IP address from Unassigned to IP and then back again and press OK.

    Ive checked application.config and I can see a binding for the website.  But I don't understand why doing the above works.  Ive even tried exporting the config again once I do the above but that doesnt work when rolling back my server and setting up the shared config and CCS.