IIS web server configurationRSS

1 reply

Last post Oct 17, 2019 05:24 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• IIS web server configuration

Oct 16, 2019 05:38 PM|cybervd|LINK

Hello everyone,

I need help with configuring the Web Server. Imagine having two servers and Windows Server 2016 Deskstop Experience installed on both. Server A with IP address 10.0.0.1 has AD and DNS installed, domain is somedomain.com . Server B with IP address 10.0.0.2 needs to have a web server (IIS) on port 8888 / TCP and I need to create alias www. So when I type in www.somedomain.com in my web browser, I can get my website. Am I doing alias on server A, since DNS is installed on this server, or do I have to somehow add server B to DNS Manager? I tried to do nslookup on server B, does it see alias www on server A but it doesn't. I'm doing all this for the server configuration exercise. Every help is welcome :)

• Re: IIS web server configuration

Oct 17, 2019 05:24 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

Create an alias or CNAME record for the DNS server on which you configured IIS. This step makes sure that external host computers can connect to your Web server by using the "www" hostname. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the DNS snap-in. To do this, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS.
    2. Under DNS, expand Hostname (where Hostname is the hostname of the DNS server).
    3. Expand Forward Lookup Zones.
    4. Under Forward Lookup Zones, right-click the zone that you want (for example, domain_name.com), and then click New Alias (CNAME).
    5.In the Alias name box, type www.
    6. In the Fully qualified name for target host box, type the fully qualified hostname of the DNS server on which IIS is installed. For example, type dns.domain_name.com, and then click OK.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.