Can I reset the passwords for WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin? [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Oct 16, 2019 07:19 PM by Rod At Work

• Can I reset the passwords for WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin?

Oct 15, 2019 04:07 PM|Rod At Work|LINK

We're using TFS to release/publish ASP.NET applications to IIS using Web Deploy on a Windows Server 2012 R2 server. There's an application I'm trying to deploy to the production web server, using TFS. It release/deployment works fine to test, but it fails with the following error when I try to run the release to production:

2019-10-07T20:57:34.7993671Z ##[error]Error: (10/7/2019 2:57:34 PM) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.
    2019-10-07T20:57:34.7993671Z ##[error]Error: Unable to perform the operation. Please contact your server administrator to check authorization and delegation settings.
    2019-10-07T20:57:34.7993671Z ##[error]Error count: 1.

Looking this error up I found a very promising solution on Stack Overflow (SO). Here's the URL: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939150/web-deployment-task-build-failed/25630186#25630186 

The argument here is to run a PowerShell script called AddDelegationRules.ps1, which is run when first installing Web Deploy to a web server. I'm not the best PowerShell developer, but I have looked over AddDelegationRules.ps1. It looks OK, but I'm hesitate to run it again, as I'm not knowledgeable enough about Windows Servers to know what impact/side-effect it might have, to rerun AddDelegationRules.ps1.

An alternative suggestion was to simply reset the passwords for both local accounts WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin, which are first created when installing Web Deploy which runs AddDelegationRules.ps1. This option seems like a good one. I'm wondering whether or not anything else requires to password to WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin? We have about 10 production websites running on that server, so I don't want to mess anything up by either rerunning AddDelegationRules.ps1 or changing the passwords to WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin.

• Re: Can I reset the passwords for WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin?

Oct 16, 2019 07:07 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi Rod At Work,

I reviewed the  Powershell script and it just check and reset  user and delegation rule.  rerun the script should not make any side effect on your server because  WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin  is only used to write configuration file and recycle application pool when you make deployment.

Besides, if reset user would fix this issue, the problem should come from user status. Have you tried to set "Password" never expire?

Best Regards,

Jokies Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
  • Re: Can I reset the passwords for WDeployConfigWriter and WDeployAdmin?

Oct 16, 2019 07:19 PM|Rod At Work|LINK

I hadn't tried making the password not expire for those users, until today. Thank you, Juk!