Proxy to redirect all requests to an internal Linux server that handle the ssl certificateRSS

7 replies

Last post Aug 12, 2019 01:39 PM by SNarciso

• Proxy to redirect all requests to an internal Linux server that handle the ssl certificate

Aug 08, 2019 06:02 PM|SNarciso|LINK

Hello,

I have already running an internal website and exchange in IIS 7.

Now i need that an internal server with a different domain can handle all the requests to that domain and that Linux Nginx server can do the redirect  and handle the ssl certificate

Because i only have one IP i need the IIS to handle that passage to the Linux server.

I already have ARR and Url rewrite 2.1 installed, what else i need to do?

Thank you

• Re: Proxy to redirect all requests to an internal Linux server that handle the ssl certificate

Aug 09, 2019 05:40 AM|Able|LINK

Hi SNarciso

SNarciso

i only have one IP i need the IIS to handle that passage to the Linux server.

According to your description, it seems that you want to handle request from iis server to Linux server.But you said that you have only one ip address,so I think that you could put two servers on the same LAN, else if you want to accomplish ARR ,you need more than one Ip address.

Best Regards

Ablle

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
  • Re: Proxy to redirect all requests to an internal Linux server that handle the ssl certificate

Aug 09, 2019 09:15 AM|SNarciso|LINK

Hi Able,

I don't know if i make a good explanation of what i need.

The one IP i have is a public IP that is already associated to the internal IIS serving Exchange and SBS stuff, already with a certificate in thas IIS.

I need to have another public domain that came to the same public ip address and that the external browser requests could be directed directly to my internal Linux that already has a ssl certificate i wan't to use also.

This could be done with IIS 7?

Aug 10, 2019 12:59 AM|lextm|LINK

What device do you use to host that public IP address? A gateway/router should be able to split the incoming requests based on their domain names (Host headers) to either IIS or Linux in the background. Then you don't even need to change anything on IIS.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5473 Posts

MVP

Re: Proxy to redirect all requests to an internal Linux server that handle the ssl certificate

Aug 10, 2019 01:47 AM|Rovastar|LINK

ARR can route your requests through.

Point the IP to your new ARR machine.

The website farm (even a farm of 1 server) should be straight forward, I would terminate the SSL cert on the ARR though (nd offload the SSL there)

I haven't run ARR as a proxy to Exchange but this looks like what you need to follow.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/Part-1-Reverse-Proxy-for-Exchange-Server-2013-using-IIS-ARR/ba-p/592526

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Aug 12, 2019 01:09 PM|SNarciso|LINK

Hi lextm,

That option was my first try but my router Draytek 2960 only manages ips and not host headers unfortunatly :(

Aug 12, 2019 01:27 PM|lextm|LINK

Then you might follow Rovastar's suggestion to use ARR as reverse proxy.

Alternatively, Linux/nginx can also be used as reverse proxy for IIS.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Aug 12, 2019 01:39 PM|SNarciso|LINK

Hi Rovastar,

Just to see if i understand what you mean...

Rovastar

Point the IP to your new ARR machine.

So, what you mean is that instead of the public ip go directly to the SBS2008/Exchange machine, change it to the new IIS8 machine and then split and forward the trafic to Exchange and to Linux machine.

This is the solution that i was thinking about, lets see if i can do it. The Exchange is version 2007 and your example is with 2013, lets see if it will work.

Rovastar

The website farm (even a farm of 1 server) should be straight forward, I would terminate the SSL cert on the ARR though (nd offload the SSL there)

In this part you are talking about offload the SSL of the Exchange or the Linux Server? both? Using IIS 8, i think that this could be done in ARR with IIS 8.0 then i can do a try of installing both certificates in this ARR machine and see if this will work.