ARR 3.0 Documentation? [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Jul 08, 2019 07:31 AM by Chris Becke

• ARR 3.0 Documentation?

Jun 28, 2019 07:28 AM|Chris Becke|LINK

This documentation seems to be the most official documentation dealing with installing ARR and using it in various scenarios. However, it only mentions ARR 1 and ARR 2, both of which require the deprecated Web Farm Framework which cannot even install on IIS 10.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/extensions/installing-application-request-routing-arr/install-application-request-routing-version-2

Was ARR 3.0 never actually documented?

• Re: ARR 3.0 Documentation?

Jul 01, 2019 01:50 AM|Able|LINK

Hi chris ,

As far as I known,for Microsoft Application Request Routing (ARR) 3 ,Web Farm Framework 1.1 is no longer required, Application Request Routing no longer has a dependency on Web Farm Framework 1.1.

Else it is supported in IIS 10.

Since it doesn't much difference between 2.0,there hasn't any documents about this new type.

You could know some detail in the link as below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=47332

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jul 01, 2019 05:41 AM|Chris Becke|LINK

Well, thats interesting, BUT:

ARR2 defined 3 roles: Controller, Primary and Secondary :- The WFF2 package could be installed directly on a controller, and when the web farm was created and registered, ARR2 with its dependency on WFF1 would be implicitly installed on the Primary and Secondary nodes.

ARR3, without WFF, does not appear to support this. Without documentation, IDK if the Controller (and/or Primary) role has been dropped. Without documentation, and an explicit Primary - where do I install sites so they get installed onto the Secondaries? ARR2 - not that I ever got it working - seemed to support automatic site deployments from the primary.

Jul 04, 2019 01:58 AM|Able|LINK

Hi Chris,

According to your description, it seems that you are  mixing up ARR and WFF. 

WFF is the part that has a controller, primaries and secondaries and will replicate sites/applications across servers in a farm. It has been deprecated and is not supported for use with IIS 8 or later.ARR works as a load balancer and/or reverse proxy.

Then could you please tell me your windows version? As far as I known,WFF is not supported if windows version is not Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2.

What's more , we recommend using alternative strategies to replicate content and/or configuration across servers in a farm.

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jul 04, 2019 11:14 AM|Chris Becke|LINK

I am not mixing them up. One has been deliberately dropped / merged into the other. Leaving a functionality vacuum with no explanation.

Given that

A. WFF has been deprecated in favour of ARR3

B. ARR3 does NOT do site replication,

how, exactly, does one do site replication now? Do I dig out WFF2 and try and install that? It doesn't even try and install on ISS10.

I read this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/web-hosting/scenario-build-a-web-farm-with-iis-servers/configuring-step-5-configure-application-deployment that says I must just deploy the application package to one of my Farm servers. But clearly that isn't right.

Now IIS is a complex topic. So I don't know if support for site replication has just been abandoned, without a word said. Or if its been moved to some combination of Shared Config and DFS or something even more implicit because the above link does seem to trivialize the issue just a little bit.

Jul 05, 2019 02:23 AM|Elendil Zheng|LINK

Hi Chris

Thanks for your support to Microsoft.

I understand that you are having issue migrating from ARR 2 to ARR 3 due to the feature missing and the deployment process is totally different. 

Currently the IIS docs are hosted in Git. You can create an issue directly to docs team. In this case I've already created an issue for you. Meanwhile you can add comments to the issue to let the doc teams better understand your concern about ARR 3

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/iis-docs/issues/401

Regards

Elendil

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Jul 08, 2019 07:31 AM|Chris Becke|LINK

Cool. Will follow up there.