ARR Routing Table via API? [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Jun 20, 2019 12:17 AM by ryankekos

• ARR Routing Table via API?

Jun 06, 2019 09:56 PM|ryankekos|LINK

Let's say I have a 10 server web farm and my domains going through ARR can only be assigned to one web server at a time. For example all requests going to www.example.com are stuck (once ARR chooses a server by least requests) to WebServer7. Via the ARR GUI I can see this by clicking on your ARR Server Farm > Server Affinity > Display Routing Table but as I mentioned I need to get this information programmatically. Thoughts?

• Re: ARR Routing Table via API?

Jun 07, 2019 06:23 AM|Able|LINK

Hi ryankekos,

According to your description, I couldn't understand your requirement cleaarly. It seems that you want make all the request to one server as you want. but I think it is no meaning to use ARR for your severs. ARR is made to prevent to reduce the pressure of server and prevent the situation that when one or more servers broken, it will also make sure the website could run which is call ed load balancing.

So  I hope that you could tell me more about your requirements.Here is the link about load balancing.I hope it could help you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/extensions/configuring-application-request-routing-arr/http-load-balancing-using-application-request-routing

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jun 07, 2019 01:07 PM|Marcelo Petersen|LINK

Hi,

According to your post, you need to identify for what servers a website is redirected. Looking by IIS interface, you could achieve this easily, but you need to do this procedure in each ARR servers (normally, the servers affinity is saved via external cache, but to query this information on the fly, only the ARR server which created the affinity will answer this information).

A good point to check is the ARR schema file (C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema\arr_schema.xml), where you can find all methods exposed by ARR. In this case, you need to use the method "LookupHostName", which required only one parameter, name.  This method returns an array of servers where an specific website is running.

Best Regards,

Jun 13, 2019 09:54 PM|ryankekos|LINK

Marcelo that looks like exactly what we need but trying to understand how to invoke that command using Microsoft.Web.Administration API since it doesn't expose the "webFarms" name space by default. Any hints?

FYI I will pay $$$ for the solution. Please message me for reward. Thanks guys!

Jun 20, 2019 12:17 AM|ryankekos|LINK

After many development hours we were able to figure this out. So excited to have this feature. Too bad Microsoft does not expose this easily. Woohoo!