Load Balancing with F5'sRSS

7 replies

Last post May 30, 2019 10:47 AM by Rovastar

• Load Balancing with F5's

May 08, 2019 12:42 AM|clhoyt0910|LINK

Hello,

I'm currently setting up 2 web servers behind an F5 Load Balancer. The 2 web servers host multiple web apps and we are able to make successful calls to these web apps remotely but when we are on the actual web server and its making calls to another web app on the same server we get a "Remote connection refused" when its resolving to the VIP but if we resolve to an IP binding on the server it works just fine. Is there something I'm missing here? I would really hate to add entries to host files.

• Re: Load Balancing with F5's

May 08, 2019 06:46 AM|Able|LINK

Hi clhoyt0910,

According to your description,this is question about  F5 network loadbalancer , so I suggest that you could post your thread to F5 network forums.Here is the link , I hope it could help you.

https://devcentral.f5.com/questions

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

May 08, 2019 10:57 AM|clhoyt0910|LINK

Before I move on to the F5 site I'm asking if there is anything to check for on the iis side?

May 09, 2019 06:30 AM|Able|LINK

Hi clhoyt0910.

In my opinion, there is nothing to check for on the iis side. F5 Load Balancing has the independent operating mechanism.

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

May 29, 2019 09:28 PM|clhoyt0910|LINK

So I have been banging my head on trying to get this work and I've also engaged with F5 support. we are now getting the error on the iis website..

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond <f5 virtual ip>

does anyone have any suggestions? it seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. 

• Rovastar Rovastar

5406 Posts

MVP

Re: Load Balancing with F5's

May 29, 2019 11:51 PM|Rovastar|LINK

You may have some issues trying to goto a VIP from servers on the backend.

Can you ping it?
    IIS/Windows might not know about it.

If you are going to a domain it may not understand it is attached to the VIP.

You can try and edit your hosts file to explicitly state resolve the name to the VIP IP.

You may need to delve deeper and use a packet analyser like wireshark to see where the traffic flows
    Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

May 29, 2019 11:58 PM|clhoyt0910|LINK

I'm able to ping it and able to make calls using postman successfully from the IIS server. It almost seems like the connection is not being closed fast enough. Is there a better way of doing this versus using the F5?
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5406 Posts

MVP

Re: Load Balancing with F5's

May 30, 2019 10:47 AM|Rovastar|LINK

You will probably need to look into the network traffic to see more. Maybe form within your app when it is sending it out it is using a different connection type TLS 1.0 and that is refused. It could be loads of things.

Iris difficulty to say. You will have to dig deeper to understand the situation.

As a workaround and back most in the IIS court why not have you hosts file point directly to the other server and missing out the F5 VIP.
    So incoming traffic will still go through the VIP but the traffic going out of the box from within that site calling the other app will call directly the other server in the farm

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/