File Not Found on a running IIS siteRSS

5 replies

Last post Jul 02, 2019 01:01 AM by AntBo

• File Not Found on a running IIS site

Aug 14, 2018 04:35 AM|rmohan80|LINK

HI 

We've had this issue across 2 different instances of the same website (they're hosted on separate hardware, different OS and are in no way related).

The issue is that the IIS server is throwing a:

Server error in '/' Application. Stack trace is as follows:

The file '/Dashboard/Widgets/Widget.ascx' does not exist

This is a running server with no code changes over the past 1 year. On closer investigation it looks like the .NET framework has created a file called App_Web_widget.2caa704.dll.delete under the folder “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\1644ed21\6a29fba\assembly\dl3\a03785fe\002ec5a9_90e9d201

Renaming the ".delete" file to ".delete.old" gets the site working immediately.

The same error has occurred multiple times now under different instances with each time a different compiled DLL failing. And in each case a ".delete" file has been created within the Temporary .NET folder in different places.

Our investigation seems to conclude the following:

• 1) The “.NET cache” seems to have decided to update the code – which maybe incorrect as the code has never changed, but could also be IIS refreshing the files. We’re unclear of the nature of these refreshses
    • 2) The refresh failed for whatever reason. Again, it is unclear why IIS could not update the DLL even though the files were available and permissions seem to be fine on these folders

So, what is causing running app cache to fail and why is it not completing the update of the code if it decides that the codebase needs to be update?

There also seems to be no way to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this issue rather than posting a thread here. support.microsoft.com does not even list IIS as a product under Windows Server in order for us to create a ticket

• Re: File Not Found on a running IIS site

Aug 16, 2018 01:15 AM|deepakpanchal10|LINK

Hello rmohan80,

I tried to test with a simple Asp.Net website and I did not find the xxx.dll.delete file.

What’s the server operation system you are using? Which is the version of IIS or the .net framework?

Could you please share a simple project so we could try to use it to reproduce your issue? Please remember to remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Best Regards,

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Aug 16, 2018 06:35 AM|rmohan80|LINK

HI,

This has happened in Windows 2012 R12 and IIS version 6.2 as well as in Windows 2010 R2 

.NET version is I believe v4.0.30319

Unfortunately, I cannot share the project as it's a enterprise solution

The ".delete" file is created during runtime at some point (after months of production use). So you won't have it when you create a new project

Hope I can get some help

Aug 20, 2018 08:10 AM|ISG.V|LINK

not very clear about your original issue, but as far as I know, the IIS in windows 2012 r2 is IIS 8.5, how did you install an version 6.2? could it be the reason?

Aug 21, 2018 09:43 AM|deepakpanchal10|LINK

Hello rmohan80,

If you do feel awkward to share the entire enterprise solution, you could try to remove any confidential and sensitive information and level the simple project to reproduce the issue. We do need a project to reproduce the issue and then try to check it to find any clue.

Thanks for understanding.

By the way, IIS on Windows Server 2012 R2 is 8.5. Please check if you confused Windows Server Version and IIS Version.

Best Regards,

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jul 02, 2019 01:01 AM|AntBo|LINK

Hello,

We have similar issue with one of our website instances running on Windows 2012R2 and IIS 8.5: the website was working fine for few weeks and suddenly started raising the error "The file 'xyz.cshtml' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested." After some investigation I found the ".delete" file for corresponding xyz.cshtml in temporary asp.net files folder.

Why ASP.NET/IIS creates .delete files?

How to prevent this issue from happening?

Thanks