"HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found" when I try to open a .aspx fileRSS

4 replies

Last post Oct 14, 2019 09:24 PM by lextm

• "HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found" when I try to open a .aspx file

Feb 21, 2018 11:47 AM|alesmazz|LINK

Good morning, I have a problem when I try to display into a browser a web-application, developed in .aspx and .aspx.vb format (through the Visual Studio 2017 environment). I distributed the app itself on a Windows 2012 R2 server, in which I uploaded both the ASPX 2.0 and 4.5 frameworks and the IIS.

In the IIS, through the Server Manager, I connected the app to the website on which I want to view it. The problem, however, is that when I type the address of the site and the name of the .aspx file on the browser, I read the following words: "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable".

"Locally", when the web-app is located on the C and/or D disks (inside the server), if I try to open the website I found this problem: "HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found. 

Most likely causes:

The request matched a wildcard mime map. The request is mapped to the static file handler. If there were different pre-conditions, the request will map to a different handler.

Things you can try:

If you want to serve this content as a static file, add an explicit MIME map."

How can I solve, and so to see the page I want to visit?? Thank you in advance.

• Re: "HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found" when I try to open a .aspx file

Feb 22, 2018 03:01 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

hI alesmazz,

It is obviously that you didn't install the IIS asp.net feature then the IIS handler mapping map the request to .aspx file to the static file handler.

This link provide a solution to fix 404.17 error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2019689/error-message-when-you-visit-a-web-site-that-is-hosted-on-iis-7-0-http

So please go to server manager->add role and feature->server role->webserver(IIS)->web Server->application development->install the application like asp.net. 3.5/asp.net 4.6 feature.

I just notice that add IIS web server role will not enable the asp.net feature by default. So you have to enable it manually.

If you have enabled it before, please modify the handler mapping order list

to let pagehandlerfactory-integrated(4.0) have higher priority to execute the request. In addition, please ensure you have select the integrated mode with correct CLR version.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Apr 11, 2019 09:43 PM|mbrooks2k3|LINK

The reply was a bit hard to read, and the word "obviously" (sic) stings a little, but it was on target. I ran into the issue while installing IIS on an Azure Windows Server 2016 VM.

For Server 2016, there are checkboxes within 'Server Manager Add Roles or Features' for .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.6 and ASP.Net 3.5 and 4.6 (two of the latter), a total of 5 checkboxes (unless I missed one again when I reviewed the dialogs):

A. Server Roles -> Web Server (IIS) -> Web Server -> Application Development

Check ASP.Net 3.5 and ASP.Net 4.6

B. Features -> .Net Framework 3.5 Features

Check .Net Framework 3.5

C. Features -> .Net Framework 4.6 Features

Check .Net Framework 4.6 and ASP.Net 4.6

There are other dependencies, but they are added automatically if missing (if you accept them), when you add these options.

At this point I'm no longer certain which one I left out, but it might have been the ASP.Net 4.6 checkbox in Features. I vaguely remember that it may not have been visible (due to scrolling or option expansion) when I was initially doing the install, but I can't reproduce that now.

Oct 14, 2019 08:40 PM|DaveC42|LINK

By way of background, I am mainly an embedded developer and have been tasked with making a simple change to one of our company’s web applications.  The application is an ASP.NET application (originally developed using Visual Studio 2010) running on Windows Server 2012.  I am attempting to modify/debug the code on my local Windows 10 machine using Visual Studio 2017.  When I attempt to run the application locally under Visual Studio 2017, I’ve had 2 problems. 

First I get the message from Visual Studio “Unable to start debugging on the web server.  The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

The application’s main page is then displayed, but as soon as I select a menu item, I run into the second problem:  “HTTP Error 404.3 – Not Found.  The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration.  If the page is a script, add a handler.  If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

Based on information I read online, I went into IIS for Windows 10 and added an entry in the MIME table for .aspx.  This PARTIALLY fixed the problem such that now when I select a menu item, the page is “semi-rendered” in that it displays the text that is supposed to be displayed, but the controls are not displayed and some of the text overwrites other parts of the text.

I’d greatly appreciate any help in getting this web application to run locally.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2019 09:24 PM|lextm|LINK

DaveC42

I’d greatly appreciate any help in getting this web application to run locally.

Next time please open a new thread, as this one is 404.17 and is well closed.

Yours seem to indicate that you forgot to enable ASP.NET feature for IIS on your machine.

Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.