web deploy max web site sizeRSS

4 replies

Last post Jul 31, 2019 08:38 PM by NedStark

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›
  • web deploy max web site size

Feb 24, 2017 07:45 PM|christopher877|LINK

I have been packaging up several web sites using web deploy. On one site, I received a message stating the site is too large. What is the maximum site size that can be packaged? How do package a site and migrate it if this is the case? 

• Re: web deploy max web site size

Feb 27, 2017 06:36 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi christopher877,

Based on my understanding, there is a limitation of 2GB for single file and 65536 files in web deploy package. It is said that there is also a 4gb limitation of web deploy package.

https://www.iis.net/learn/publish/troubleshooting-web-deploy/web-deploy-error-codes

To resolve this issue, you could use the archiveDir provider when creating a package instead. Currently there is no solution for this limit with respect to automatic backups:

msdeploy -verb:sync -source:apphostconfig="Site1" -dest:archivedir=c:\archive 
    msdeploy -verb:sync -source:archivedir=c:\archive -dest:appHostConfig="Site1",computerName=NewServer

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd569042(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Feb 28, 2017 04:01 PM|christopher877|LINK

I tried that but received an error stating 

"Error Code: ERROR_EXCEPTION_WHILE_CREATING_OBJECT
    More Information: Object of type 'apphostconfig' and path 'Site1' cannot be created. Learn more at go.microsoft*********
    Error: A command was issued that requires the IIS Cionfiguration System but the system is not available. Make sure you are using a version of IIS that contains the configuration system.
    Error count: 1"

Any ideas? 

Mar 02, 2017 02:58 PM|christopher877|LINK

So, if I can't use Web Deploy due to the site size and the ArchiveDIR provider will not work, am I SOL? I am guessing we have to find another solution to migrate these sites. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Jul 31, 2019 08:38 PM|NedStark|LINK

Which version of Web Deploy are you using? Try Web Deploy 4 that comes with Visual Studio (Source: How to migrate website between IIS servers using Web Deploy (msdeploy))

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›