"urlauthz.dll failed to load" after using Web Deploy 3.5 from IIS7 to IIS8 on Windows Server 2012RSS

1 reply

Last post Dec 15, 2014 07:58 PM by Pengzhen Song - MSFT

• "urlauthz.dll failed to load" after using Web Deploy 3.5 from IIS7 to IIS8 on Windows Server 2012

Dec 11, 2014 10:49 AM|ClaudeVernier|LINK

Hello,

We have a Windows 2008 R2 Web server with IIS 7 and lots of web site using technologies such as: ASP, ASP.Net 2.0, 3.5, 4.0... Web Forms, Web APIs...

We need to migrate to a new Windows 2012 R2 Web server with IIS8 !

I used the UI of Web Deploy 3.5 to migrate my over 20 web sites and it kept throwing me an error about a mismatch of .Net Frameworks  even after tweaking the configuration file of Web Deploy or the selected items to deploy from the Web Deploy UI.

Then, I used these scripts below, I scripted the export of .Net2 objects and .Net4 objects separately and imported them separately as well :

First, the export :
    /* I didn't specified the server, I ran the script as an administrator on the local machine hosting the source IIS */
    msdeploy.exe -verb:sync -source:webserver,machineconfig32.netfxversion=4,machineconfig64.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=4 -dest:package='e:\files\v4Export.zip',machineconfig32.netfxversion=4,machineconfig64.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=4,EncryptPassword=test

msdeploy.exe -verb:sync -source:webserver,machineconfig32.netfxversion=2,machineconfig64.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=2 -dest:package='e:\files\v2Export.zip',machineconfig32.netfxversion=2,machineconfig64.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=2,EncryptPassword=test

Then, the import :
    /* I didn't specified the server, I ran the script as an administrator on the local machine hosting the target IIS */
    msdeploy.exe -verb:sync -source:package='e:\files\v4Export.zip',machineconfig32.netfxversion=4,machineconfig64.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=4,EncryptPassword=test -dest:webserver,machineconfig32.netfxversion=4,machineconfig64.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=4

msdeploy.exe -verb:sync -source:package='e:\files\v2Export.zip',machineconfig32.netfxversion=4,machineconfig64.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=4,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=2,EncryptPassword=test -dest:webserver,machineconfig32.netfxversion=2,machineconfig64.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig32.netfxversion=2,rootwebconfig64.netfxversion=2

There was no error running these scripts, all the web sites and application pools got created but while testing, the application pools went down and I had the error below in the event log :

The Module DLL C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\urlauthz.dll failed to load. The data is the error.

I did not find the file in that location, mentioned in the error message but comparing with another Windows 2012 server, the file was in two locations but not in that folder... I am wondering if the error message is good...

As I did several tries to import the web sites, I wanted to uninstall IIS and re install it and I rebooted the server but still, I have the same error.

When I log onto the server, the application pools and web sites are running, whenever I try to access a web site from IE on local or from a distant machine, the application pool stops and the error above gets written in the events log.

I hope you will be able to help me as I have 4 more servers to prepare and it would be terrible to have to recreate each application pools and web sites...

Thanks for any advice and help, best regards, 

Claude VERNIER

deploy iis8 2012

• Re: "urlauthz.dll failed to load" after using Web Deploy 3.5 from IIS7 to IIS8 on Windows Server...

Dec 15, 2014 07:58 PM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

Maybe you forget to install the URL authorization module in IIS.

http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.webserver/security/authorization

deploy iis8 2012

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!