Strange applicationHost.config bug in Windows Vista x64 [Answered]RSS

1 reply

Last post Dec 22, 2012 04:39 AM by lextm

• Strange applicationHost.config bug in Windows Vista x64

Dec 21, 2012 09:40 AM|hero47|LINK

Hi all,

So I have a 32bit C++ native app created using VisualC++ 2010 and Application Host Administration APIs. This application creates websites/vdirs/app pools. No problem occurs in Windows 7 x86/x64.

However, on Windows Vista x64 I have noticed that any website/appPool creation fails. The problem occured when I tried to commit changes, giving me this error: COM Error 0x80070002(The system  cannot find the file specified). 

More strangely, this issue occured only on Vista x64 gold,  not on Vista x64 SP1. After a lot of investigations I have tracked the problem down to applicationHost.config file.

There are binaries for both x64 and x86 IIS (in system32/inetsrv, respectively sysWow64/inetsrv). As far as I understand, the IIS config file is kept in the sys32/inetsrv/config folder. On Windows7 the SysWow64/inetsrv/config folder contains a copy of applicationHost.config file, which is *not* present on Vista. After copying this file myself from System32/inetsrv/config to SysWoW64/inetsrv/config my application runs fine (both creation and removal of websites/vdirs/appPools).

Another thing to be mentioned is that modifications made by my app are visible in system32/inetsrv/config/applicationHost.config, not the SysWow64 one, which is what I would expect.

Again, this happens only on the initial release of Windows Vista (build 6000). I can't wrap my head around this problem(bug?). Did anyone have this problem before, or knows any info about it?

Thanks!

• Re: Strange applicationHost.config bug in Windows Vista x64

Dec 22, 2012 04:39 AM|lextm|LINK

By Microsoft Product Life Cycle policies, Windows Vista RTM is no longer supported. The only supported scenario right now is Windows Vista + SP2,

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Vista

Any discussion about the RTM build is meaningless.

Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.