401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. [Answered]RSS

1 reply

Last post Aug 02, 2012 11:31 PM by Lloydz

• 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

Aug 01, 2012 09:59 AM|godistop1|LINK

I hope someone can direct me on how to solve this problem.  I have ASP.Net application that has been in production for two years and no changes have been made in over a year. Web site is using IIS 7.0 and have Windows authentication enable.  The users are working from home and the access company intranet coming through at VPN connection.  We added a new user and for some reason she is getting the above error and other users are not having any problems.  So I tried to access the web site from home connecting to company through VPN connection and get the same error.  I do not know this has anything to do with it, but since last time I access the website from home I do have a different computer.

Can anyone tell what could have changed were some users have no problems and others are?  I really do not know where to begin to solve this problem.  I have no problem accessing the web site at work, of course I am already on the company's intranet.

Thanks for any help!

Brenda

• Re: 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

Aug 02, 2012 11:31 PM|Lloydz|LINK

Which account the user used that encounter this issue? If your server is within a domain environment, please ensure the account she used is either the server local account or the domain account. Also I would suggest you check the substatus code of the error which could help narrow down the issue:

• 401.1 - Logon failed.
    • 401.2 - Logon failed due to server configuration.
    • 401.3 - Unauthorized due to ACL on resource.
    • 401.4 - Authorization failed by filter.
    • 401.5 - Authorization failed by ISAPI/CGI application.

The substatus code can be find in corresponding IIS log entries.

Thanks.