Wincache Update For PHP 5.4 - Timeline?RSS

70 replies

Last post Sep 24, 2012 07:40 PM by Cando22

• Wincache Update For PHP 5.4 - Timeline?

Mar 02, 2012 09:27 AM|laurin1|LINK

@jennylaw - I thought you indicated before that if this was needed, that you (or someone on your team) would do compile Wincache for 5.4. However, I cannot find the post in which you stated as much.

Can you give us a timeline or at least a confirmation that the compilation of Wincache for 5.4 is in queue? If not, I need to know so that I can plan on making the time to try to do this myself. It's not something that I am comfortable with, but we really need this to happen (and so do several others.)

• Re: Wincache Update For PHP 5.4 - Timeline?

Mar 14, 2012 04:05 PM|GrZeCh|LINK

Hello,

I'm also interested. Does wincache is planned for PHP 5.4?

Regards

Mar 14, 2012 04:14 PM|laurin1|LINK

I was told yes, but no update since.

Mar 17, 2012 12:53 AM|Cando22|LINK

Any chance this will happen?

We can't keep guessing if this product is till alive.

Has anyone had any luck with APC or...? Is moving to full LAMP the only long-term solution?

Mar 18, 2012 10:49 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Yep. This is exactly what we did. Moved to Linux / Apache with APC. Have not looked back sense then. APC is very stable compared to Wincache, and has fairly decent development (though the product works without issues). We gave up on Microsoft completely (OS, SQL, and Email). The way they are treating their loyal users speaks volumes about how much they really do truly "care" about open source and PHP.

@laurin1 - we've been told a lot of things :) None of seems to be true.

Mar 19, 2012 12:35 PM|wonyoo|LINK

This is something that the IIS product team is actively investigating, but I cannot comment on a firm schedule.   As we are making progress, I may reach out to the individuals on this thread for evaluation (consider it pre-release "testing"), please indicate your level of interest on this thread (as a reply).

Thanks.

PHP wincache PHP 5.4

Mar 19, 2012 12:47 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

This would be great if Microsoft actually sticks to it. If you guys are going to be doing proper / regular releases I am interested.

Mar 19, 2012 12:53 PM|laurin1|LINK

I'll be happy to do testing.

Mar 19, 2012 02:41 PM|smithrn|LINK

I'd be happy to test it. I run a fairly large Moodle based website.

Mar 19, 2012 05:03 PM|Cando22|LINK

As much as I appreciate a response from MS after a long period of silence, I have to make my expectation clear.

All of us on this forum are running businesses on IIS and PHP. The SLA for delivering stack components of any company committed to our success is measured in weeks; and not many of them.

A market leader would have released a PHP 5.4 compatible release within days of launch.

I suggest the IIS team either commit to PHP and us, their customers, long-term, or take down the part of the IIS homepage that claims proper PHP support. I'd respect the honesty in such a move.

On the other hand, having to prod the team to get attention and even test framework components myself is not reassuring.

Long-term the current pattern is not sustainable.

Mar 19, 2012 05:14 PM|wjlrkjjv|LINK

/Interested

Quite serious project.

Mar 20, 2012 04:05 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

I am also very interested to obtain regular WinCache and FastCGI updates for bug fixes and PHP 5.4 compatibility. I can beta test if it's help.

In fact, if there are no more WinCache updates I would have to migrate to Linux :(

Mar 22, 2012 09:31 AM|bndoshi|LINK

Please ping me when it available for testing. I'll be happy to do that.

Thanks,

Bhavin

Mar 22, 2012 12:13 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Thanks for all the interests and patience.   We will be sure to contact you as we make progress.

Thanks.

wincache Extension for php PHP 5.4

Mar 27, 2012 10:42 AM|MartinCelebrio|LINK

I am also interested in this update, when can we expect PHP 5.4 to be supported?

Mar 27, 2012 12:13 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the timeline, other than the fact that it is something we are currently and actively working on.    The best estimate I can offer at this time is first half of 2012 calendar year.

That said, I will be sure to follow up with those who have expressed interests on this thread once we have something we can share.

Thanks.

wincache Extension for php PHP 5.4

Mar 27, 2012 12:17 PM|laurin1|LINK

Thanks

Mar 27, 2012 12:32 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

The best estimate I can offer at this time is first half of 2012 calendar year.

Very good news ! Thanks !

Is there a chance to see FastCGI also updated ?

Mar 27, 2012 12:45 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Could you help me understand your question regarding FastCGI?   What are your expectations?

If the question is "Will I be able to run PHP 5.4 on IIS", then the answer is yes, that's the goal.   But we believe we can do that without making changes to FastCGI.

If the question is more around different improvements/changes for FastCGI, then no, that's not something we are working on near term.

PHP fastcgi

Mar 27, 2012 12:52 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Yes my question was relative to FastCGI improvements (stability, real error logging mechanism etc.). Never Mind.

Apr 01, 2012 03:10 AM|Partridge|LINK

Looking forward to this and I hope you guys are able to fix some of the stability issues plagueing WinCache. It has a lot of potential but some polishjing work is needed, including increasing the memory limit?

Apr 09, 2012 07:05 PM|RudiV|LINK

wonyoo

If the question is "Will I be able to run PHP 5.4 on IIS", then the answer is yes, that's the goal. But we believe we can do that without making changes to FastCGI.

Wait; What isn't working at the moment? I'm running PHP 5.4 on IIS7.5 perfectly fine here.

In addition to that, I am highly interested in providing QA feedback with regards to WinCache as it is an essential component to my hosting platform. Holding me back to PHP 5.4 vanilla at the moment, and the performance improvements in the core aren't enough to make up for the loss of WinCache at the moment.

Apr 09, 2012 08:11 PM|wonyoo|LINK

WinCache 1.1, as it stands now, isn't working correctly for PHP 5.4 on IIS.   You can run PHP 5.4 on IIS without WinCache, but the performance would not be good.   Supporting WinCache for PHP 5.4 is something that we are working on, but it is too early to discuss schedule, etc.   I will circle back to this thread when it is ready for controlled testing.

Please use this forum for any feedback.   Thanks.

wincache Extension for php

Apr 17, 2012 04:50 AM|Paracetamol|LINK

Where is Ruslan Yakushev ? He leave MS ???

May 04, 2012 05:07 AM|nitinkjain|LINK

I am trying to install wordpress using web platform installation but it is failing as it is not able to find win cache extension for php. Following file does not exit.. http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wincache/wincache-1.1.0/wincachewpi-1.1.0-5.3-nts-vc9-x86.exe... is there any alternative .. can we tell wpi to fetch it from somewhere else?? Any help would be highly appreciated ....

May 07, 2012 07:38 PM|laurin1|LINK

Um, has anybody noticed this:

http://pecl.php.net/package/WinCache/1.3.0

1.3.0 release:
    - Added support for PHP 5.4, which includes support for the following:
    * Zend Engine 2.4 structures (znode_op, zend_class_entry, etc.).
    * Interned strings.
    * Stop hooking zend_stream_open_function, due to breaking change in Zend 2.4.
    * Removed PG(safe_mode) and php_checkuid() checks for Zend 2.4.
    - Cleaned up const compiler warnings.
    - Cleaned up random comments to make them PECL coding standards conformant.

May 08, 2012 03:10 AM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

Yes. And I compiled it:
    http://x32.elijst.nl/phpinfo.php5f

I had to put the PECL Memcache package im my build environment to overcome a missing definition, but then it went fine.

May 08, 2012 04:33 AM|Partridge|LINK

Could you upload the dll?

May 08, 2012 06:56 AM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

http://x32.elijst.nl/wincache-1.3.0RC1-5.4-nts-vc9-x86.zip

Compiled from http://pecl.php.net/package/WinCache/1.3.0
    1.3.0 beta 2012-04-26 WINCACHE-1.3.0.tgz (140.6kB)

I changed maximum sizes in precomp.h to 1000 (each),
    but setting the maximum values was not possible (php-cgi crash)

What worked for me, in initial tests (under Apache!):

wincache.ocachesize = 512
    wincache.fcachesize = 384
    wincache.ucachesize = 384

Edit: subsequent tests showed that any of these values above 934 caused php-cgi.exe to crash, so I compiled 934 as maximum. However, you cannot increase all values to 934. The readme.txt in the (renewed) download package contains some working examples. 

May 08, 2012 07:27 PM|Partridge|LINK

Thanks! It worked perfectly. However, I've had stability issues before where the fastcgi process would die (probably) keeping the site down until I restarted it. So I'll test it during nighttime, and let you know if I have any problems.

May 09, 2012 03:54 AM|Partridge|LINK

My unstability errors remain. I get these errors accoring to the event log: Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2 Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000002516b60 Faulting process id: 0x16e0 Faulting application start time: 0x01cd2d4d083aa830 Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe Faulting module path: unknown Report Id: 9f7d9c70-9959-11e1-9956-862b2c6947fb It has worked fine for weeks without phpcache, so it must be something related to it. My guess is that there is some race condition that makes stuff break.

May 09, 2012 08:06 AM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

That is a pity. I have no experience with IIS, so I cannot help you. Googling around about w3wp.exe, I found that it uses its own memory cache and application pool. It does not surprise me that there may be conflicts, especially if w3wp.exe is using lots of memory:

http://forums.iis.net/t/1150494.aspx

May 09, 2012 01:26 PM|Partridge|LINK

Thinking about switching to nginx. In general I like IIS, however can't live with cache disabled for a long time. Could also try some other caching engine.

May 09, 2012 03:16 PM|laurin1|LINK

Ok, Jan, so far my tests are good, though my tests have been limited. We don't now, nor never have suffered from the stability problems that other people seem to have.

We'll do more testing in the next couple of weeks.

(Also, still not getting email updates from this forum.)

May 10, 2012 09:08 AM|echoDreamz|LINK

Does your site get a fair amount of traffic @laurin1? Ours does and that is what caused PHP to stop serving files and or the worker process to crash. Another site that is used for back-end administration that used Wincache did not suffer from these issues, however it was only used by staff members.

I setup a test server with IIS 7.5, PHP 5.4.3 and the build of Wincache provided above. Ran a web stress test tool against it, and within 40 seconds the application would crash. Without Wincache it ran for hours without issues. One thing I did notice however, setting the max child processes for FastCGI to 1 allowed PHP to run much longer without any crashes. Value of 0 caused the application to open up 10 - 15 PHP processes and crash within a 30 - 40 seconds. A value of 2 ran for about 3 hours before PHP files would just stop serving.

May 10, 2012 12:34 PM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

Did you set wincache.apppoolid ? This seems to be the way to share the cache between more instances of php-cgi.exe

May 10, 2012 12:40 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hi,

Do you have more info bout wincache.apppoolid (documentation) ?

May 10, 2012 12:48 PM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

No, none. Except that the apppoolid should not contain periods. Some set it to things like www_example_com, some just to a mere number.

May 10, 2012 04:55 PM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

This was the start of the 1.3.0 update:
    http://grokbase.com/t/php/php-internals/123fzf3vxg/q-zend-handle-stream-and-wincache-extension-on-php-5-4

Eric Stenson had no experience with PHP extensions, but quite a lot with C/C++
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericsten

May 10, 2012 06:57 PM|laurin1|LINK

echoDreamz

Does your site get a fair amount of traffic @laurin1? Ours does and that is what caused PHP to stop serving files and or the worker process to crash. Another site that is used for back-end administration that used Wincache did not suffer from these issues, however it was only used by staff members.

Yes. Does it get as much as your stress test? No idea. We are an Intranet only site with 85 users that use it very heavily, and Wincache is used extensively.

May 10, 2012 08:25 PM|robmcm|LINK

Note: The IIS team has uploaded the WinCache 1.3.0 Pre-Release build on SourceForge - full details are available in the following announcement:

http://forums.iis.net/t/1189269.aspx

Thanks!

Robert McMurray [MSFT]

May 11, 2012 02:38 AM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

For those who wonder:

max wincache.fcachesize=255
    max wincache.ocachesize=255
    max wincache.ucachesize=85

The old values once again.

May 11, 2012 03:10 AM|Cando22|LINK

That much was expected. Getting to PHP5.4 will be a win.

An update to the limits must surely follow shortly thereafter.

May 11, 2012 01:42 PM|laurin1|LINK

The limit issue is not an update. This is a regression and has been so since a couple of releases back.

May 11, 2012 01:44 PM|laurin1|LINK

This is more frustrating than the lack of releases - as long as the limit issue is regressed, we can't move forward - we are stuck on the old version.
  • DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Re: Wincache Update For PHP 5.4 - Timeline?

May 11, 2012 07:29 PM|DropPhone|LINK

Partridge--

If wincache were the culprit, I would expect the faulting process to php-cgi.exe, not w3wp.exe.  php_wincache.dll is loaded into the php-cgi.exe process address space.

If you can get a crash dump of the faulting process, that would be super helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Thx!

--E.

May 14, 2012 08:37 AM|smithrn|LINK

I've started testing the new build for PHP 5.4. I'm using PHP 5.4.3, and we don't use the file cache so I usually just disable it with: wincache.fcenabled=0. This statement isn't working with the new test build of Wincache. The Wincache control panel says it is off, but the files are still being cached.

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

May 14, 2012 04:06 PM|DropPhone|LINK

smithrn

I've started testing the new build for PHP 5.4. I'm using PHP 5.4.3, and we don't use the file cache so I usually just disable it with: wincache.fcenabled=0. This statement isn't working with the new test build of Wincache. The Wincache control panel says it is off, but the files are still being cached.

Is this a regression for Wincache 1.1.0 + PHP 5.3?

Thx!

--E.

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

May 14, 2012 05:36 PM|DropPhone|LINK

DropPhone

smithrn

Is this a regression for Wincache 1.1.0 + PHP 5.3?

Thx!

--E.

Ah, nevermind, I figured it out:

If wincache.ocenabled=1, it forces files to be cached (namely the files for which the opcodes have been cached).  This is By Design.

If you set wincache.ocenabled=0 and wincache.fcenabled=0, then you will truly disable the cache.

I hope this helps,

--E.

May 14, 2012 11:59 PM|smithrn|LINK

So this is a change for the new PHP 5.4 version?

If you do wincache.ocenabled=0 that will disable the opcode cache.

Right now on my production system I have ocenabled=1 and fcenabled=0 and the Wincache statistics correctly report that the file cache is disabled but the opcode cache is active.

May 15, 2012 03:56 AM|Partridge|LINK

DropPhone - All i know is that it works fine without wincache. I dont think it will be easy to get these dumps you want on the production server. Maybe echoDreamz can help you. I do see some errors like PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 805 306 368 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 36 bytes) on a call to wincache_ucache_get.
  • DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

May 18, 2012 02:52 PM|DropPhone|LINK

smithrn

So this is a change for the new PHP 5.4 version?

This should not be a change from PHP 5.3 + Wincache 1.2.x.  We'll repro here and confirm.

Thx!

--E.

Jun 13, 2012 03:01 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Sorry, you can delete this post !

Jun 13, 2012 03:16 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hi,

I have installed WinCache 1.3.4 on a local test host (Windows 7) with PHP 5.4.4 RC2.

I use Opcode Cache, File System Cache, Session Cache and Resolve Path Cache. I do not use User Cache.

All the functions of the website seems to work fine. I didn't notify any bug for the moment.

Just a strange thing in the wincache.php page. When I refresh the page several times in a row (Summary tab), sometimes the Cache scope line displays the term "global" and sometimes it displays "local" with different opcode cache values in the table below. What does this mean ? This random change does not occur on the Opcode Cache tab where it is always "local"...

Do you think WinCache 1.3.4 is enough stable for enabling it on a my production server (IIS 6.0) ?

I have had stability issues in the past with WinCache 1.2 (HTTP 500 errors sometimes) instead of WinCache 1.1 which is more stable. I am so returned under the 1.1 version. I hope I will not have the same random errors with the 1.3 version after it goes live on my server.

Do you have an approximative date for the WinCache 1.3.x final version ?

Where can we find the WinCache 1.3.3 release notes ? Not avaible on SourceForge.

Thanks.

Julien

Jun 13, 2012 08:11 AM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

Jun 13, 2012 08:20 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Thanks for this link.
  • DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Jun 13, 2012 12:59 PM|DropPhone|LINK

JulienTLD

Just a strange thing in the wincache.php page. When I refresh the page several times in a row (Summary tab), sometimes the Cache scope line displays the term "global" and sometimes it displays "local" with different opcode cache values in the table below. What does this mean ? This random change does not occur on the Opcode Cache tab where it is always "local"...

This is the first I've heard of an issue with the statistics reporting functions in Wincache.  I didn't touch them when adding the PHP 5.4 support, so I'm assuming that these are issues which existed in the Wincache 1.2.x versions.  I will dig into the code and try to figure out what the difference between "local" and "global" means in this context.

JulienTLD

I have had stability issues in the past with WinCache 1.2 (HTTP 500 errors sometimes) instead of WinCache 1.1 which is more stable. I am so returned under the 1.1 version. I hope I will not have the same random errors with the 1.3 version after it goes live on my server.

We have been unable to repro the 500 errors, even under stress load situations.  Speaking generally: Until we have an "in-house" repro of a problem, it's nearly impossible for us to investigate and fix an issue.  If you could help us understand the scenario(s) which lead to these 500 errors, that would be supremely wonderful!

JulienTLD

Do you have an approximative date for the WinCache 1.3.x final version ?

We are still working on compatibility testing and investigating performance behaviors.  I am not authorized to provide an ETA at this time.

Thank you, and please continue helping us test & identify issues with Wincache!

--E.

PHP wincache wincache Extension for php PHP 5.4

Jun 14, 2012 02:06 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

I have verified some things. The random change of the Cache scope value local/global is also present with WinCache 1.1 and 1.2, not only with WinCache 1.3. But in fact, I only see this random problem on my local IIS 7.5 (Windows 7 host) and not with the IIS 6.0 server where the value is always global.

I understand for the reproduction of the HTTP 500 errors. When I will install WinCache 1.3 on the production server, if I see them yet, I will send you a dump file. I specify my production server runs Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6.0). Perhaps, WinCache is more stable with IIS 7.x ?

Bye

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Jun 14, 2012 02:36 PM|DropPhone|LINK

FYI--

Kanwal was good enough to forward a blog post explaining the variance in the reporting statistics:

http://www.ksingla.net/2010/01/wincache-statistics-page-inconsistencies-explained/

The post explains how Wincache uses memory, and how the statistics can vary when wincache can't create some of the cross-process shared memory segments, and has to create local memory segments.  It's good reading for understanding how Wincache works.

I hope this helps,

--E.

wincache wincache Extension for php

Jun 18, 2012 10:41 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Thanks for this link. So Local and Global values are "normal".

An other thing about WinCache 1.3.x. The bug with the installer already present in WinCache 1.2.1208 is yet present with the 1.3.4 version.

When I execute the EXE file under Windows Server 2003, I obtain the error :

The image file E:\................\wincache-1.3.4-dev-5.4-nts-vc9-x86.exe is valid, but it is for a different type of computer than the actual computer.

I have already reported this issue with the installer and NT 5.x six months ago :

http://forums.iis.net/p/1184705/2008684.aspx

No problem to extract the DLL file under Windows 7.

Thanks to solve this issue.

Jun 20, 2012 04:58 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Just upgraded my production server to PHP 5.4.4 and WinCache 1.3.4. It's run fine for the moment.

Jul 09, 2012 05:00 PM|Cando22|LINK

Where are we with this?

Was an RTM version released?

Jul 09, 2012 05:18 PM|robmcm|LINK

We are actively testing WinCache 1.3 with various open source applications on PHP 5.4, so we have not signed off as an RTM yet.

Robert McMurray [MSFT]

Jul 09, 2012 05:21 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Have you guys verified that 1.3 works with Wordpress and allows plugins etc. to be updated without issues?

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 11, 2012 01:24 PM|DropPhone|LINK

We have tested with Wordpress, and it succeeds.  I have not personally tested the plugins scenario; I will check with our tester to see if we add WP plugins and test the update/upgrade path.

Thx!

--E.

Aug 03, 2012 02:59 PM|Cando22|LINK

It's about time... don't you think?

Sep 24, 2012 02:39 PM|Cando22|LINK

And we are back to the old pattern of the IIS team going dark. This time in the middle of product development.

Why do you have to get us all angry at you before you even release the product?

Simply give us a ship date. Is that so hard?

Sep 24, 2012 04:03 PM|robmcm|LINK

Hi Cando22,

The RTM of WinCache 1.3.4 for PHP 5.4 was officially released in late July - and has been available through the Web Platform Installer and at the following URL since its release:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincache/files/wincache-1.3.4/

I had also written a blog officially announcing it when it was released:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robert_mcmurray/archive/2012/07/26/windows-cache-1-3-for-for-php-5-4.aspx

But that being said, I did not post to all of the related threads about the release - my bad. :-)

wincache

Robert McMurray [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2012 04:20 PM|Cando22|LINK

Thanks for getting it done. But now I am double peeved.

Google does not think you posted. If its not on the first page of search results it did not happen.

Apparently the locations you are willing to update does not include the front page of your own Wincache support forum. This page only shows the pre-release build.

http://forums.iis.net/1164.aspx

The official page does have the 1.3 link, but it's titled 1.1 and shows an outdated feature set.

http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/wincache-extension

Can I not expect MS to release a product on the products own homepage? Sorry, but that stuff gets to me.

Sep 24, 2012 06:05 PM|robmcm|LINK

Thanks, Cando22. You are correct that the page at http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/wincache-extension was mislabeled, and that has been corrected. While it's small consolation, we were under a content freeze due to the migration of IIS.net to new servers that are running Windows Server 2012 RTM as well as rolling out the new version of IIS.net. There were a few places where content needed to be updated now that the content freeze has ended; this is one of those areas, so I appreciate the head's up.

But that being said, even though the page was mislabeled, we had managed to get the link for WinCache 1.3.4 for PHP 5.4 in the "additional downloads" section of that page before the content freeze went into effect, so it was still possible to get to the correct version through the download page.

wincache

Robert McMurray [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2012 07:40 PM|Cando22|LINK

Thanks for taking my feedback and making fast changes.