We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Out OF the Blue on FTP server 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.  [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Nov 19, 2011 06:00 AM by HCamper

• Out OF the Blue on FTP server 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

Nov 14, 2011 09:11 AM|DSF767|LINK

All, I had setup an FTP server to push out a configuration file for our WYSE thin clients about 4 months ago it is used everyday without a hitch. All of a sudden today I got a call from a user about not being able to connect to the FTP server. I went to investigate and for some reason the WYSE ftp credentials were not taking. Went back to my PC and tried to connect to the server via Core FTP and got FTP server 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible. I went onto the server itself and checked everything and the server looked fine. all servers and everything running. I restarted all FTP services and that did not change anything. Then I installed Core FTP on the server itself and connected via 127.0.0.1 and it connected right to the FTP server with no issue. Now this server does not have a firewall or anything like that I was thinking of trying to bounce the box but I can not do that just yet so I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.
  • Re: Out OF the Blue on FTP server 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

Nov 14, 2011 10:25 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Have you checked the Router Administration page ?  Most Routers have firewalls and Anti-Virus Anti-Maleare protection.

The Routers and data centers can cause problems like you have.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011
  • Re: Out OF the Blue on FTP server 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

Nov 15, 2011 08:53 PM|Leo Tang - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

Since the error message indicates home directory inaccessible, please check the User Isolation settings of your FTP site, it is probably that FTP configuration was changed to start the user in a invalid home directory.

Examining the New FTP User Isolation Settings

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/305/configuring-ftp-user-isolation-in-iis-7/

If your problem persists, I'd suggest you run Process Monitor to determine what is the home directory it tried access. Thanks.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us

Nov 19, 2011 06:00 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Have you tried Leo Tang's Suggestion for using  System internals Process Monitor ?

Steve has a Guide http://www.iislogs.com/articles/processmonitorw3wp/ and the link

and work out the problems.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011