IIS Express - How to enable IIS6 compatibilityRSS

17 replies

Last post Nov 20, 2011 07:55 AM by HCamper

• IIS Express - How to enable IIS6 compatibility

Sep 23, 2011 09:30 AM|PKRoma|LINK

I'm trying to set up Python access via isapi_wsgi under IIS Express 7.5 (on XP), and the error I get back from the Python installation module that tries to manipulate the IIS configuration seems to indicate (although it's not clear) that the IIS6 compatibility module is not installed in IIS Express 7.5. Is that correct? If so, how can I install it? I am happy to do this manually by editing config files, however I'm not really sure what .dll's I am looking for and whether they're even shipped with IIS Express 7.5 and/or whether there's some downloadable MSI that would give me IIS6 compatibility for IIS Express 7.5. Thanks for any help. Peter

IIS Express IIS 6 Compatibilty

• Re: IIS Express - How to enable IIS6 compatibility

Sep 23, 2011 09:59 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Which Python are you using or installed the Active State WIndows Installer for  intel X86 ?

Which Version for Python 2.5 2.6 2.7 3.0 is the install ?

You should not need any Compatiblity for Python it will operate Native it does

require doing configuration for "Handler" and Mapping" to *.py for Scripts do yes some Manual Configure is

required for Both IIS Server and maybe a bit more for IIS Express.

AFAIK there is not a download it just takes a bit of "Tweaking Setting and Config"  and testing the Native part

and the Web Server Part :D.

Please look at this http://forums.iis.net/p/1122937/1758074.aspx#1758074 Thread to start

there are others but this one does work for the majority of cases.

Post questions and I will try and get this resolved.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011

Sep 23, 2011 10:15 AM|PKRoma|LINK

Thanks for your answer. I am trying to use Python via isapi_wsgi http://code.google.com/p/isapi-wsgi/ . I've got Python27 64-bit on XP 64-bit and IIS Express 7.5 (32-bit). isapi_wsgi in turn uses pywin32 http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ to access IIS management commands to manipulate the IIS configuration. From what I understand, pywin32 uses the IIS6 interface for this, so the IIS6 compatibility module is needed in order for isapi_wsgi to do its work (the creation of the virtual directories is done by the Python module itself).

Sep 23, 2011 10:52 AM|HCamper|LINK

Edit: 120-04-2011

The Pycom pywin32 is built-in the "Active State" edition the Py IDE and tools Work so why re-invent the Wheel.

The "Active State" Community Edition works windows intel x86 on X64 "Windows" "Linux" System done both.

Add the "Handler" and mapping to IIS Server it works.

Martin

Sep 23, 2011 04:06 PM|PKRoma|LINK

Thanks again for your help. What I am looking for is help on IIS Express, not Python necessarily. When you have plain IIS 7.0 that is included with Vista for example, you can "Turn Windows features on or off" to do the following: Internet Information Services -> Web Management Tools -> IIS 6 Management Compatibility -> IIS 6 WMI Compatibility -> IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility. These items have check boxes against them to turn on or off the various IIS 6 Management Compatibility features. What I would like to know is what are the equivalent steps, from the command line or with an editor on the config files, to enable IIS 6 Management Compatibility in IIS Express, where there is no GUI management capability like there is with the built in IIS 7.0 on Vista.

Sep 23, 2011 04:27 PM|HCamper|LINK

Yes,

Try for "Best Effort" thanks.

So the question is more refined and requirements.

First you should look at the IIS Express Over View from IIS Net Library http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/868/iis-express-overview/ .

From the IIS Express information:

The  Features from Vista for the SKU Products are with the Windows System and IIS 7.0 server and

from what I read do not extend the "IIS 6 Management Compatibility in IIS Express" you only have the appcmd

comand line for managment operations and that operate with IIS Express for the User .

I hope this is what your asking and this helps to answer,

Feel free to ask questions,

Martin

Sep 23, 2011 07:21 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

More information for Windows & IIS Server versions http://forums.iis.net/p/1171695/1984536.aspx#1984536 

IIS Net Thread.

Martin

Sep 25, 2011 07:10 PM|PKRoma|LINK

Thanks again for your research work. The IIS ADSI functionality that the Python isapi_wgsi module uses is encapsulated in the adsiis.dll DLL that on versions of IIS that come with the operating system is found at %windir%\system32\inetsrv\adsiis.dll . What I would like to know is how, if possible, I could get/install the equivalent adsiis.dll DLL for IIS Express so that I can use IIS ADSI functionality to programmatically modify IIS Express configuration.

Sep 25, 2011 09:57 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Ok another "Best Effort" for this topic. This not part of IIS Net Forums  not part of Microsoft Support.

I do not have the internals IIS 7 or IIS Express. The References resource is the IIS Express notes

with MSDN Magazine Oct. 2000 Issue  "Avoiding DLL Hell"  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/bb985026.aspx.

The dlls and IIS Express vs IIS 7 Server.

AFAIK  installing or copying  the  "adsiis.dll" from %windir%\system\inetsrv to the  IIS Express location is no. ( DLL Hell)

If the dlls are not part of the IIS Express release this by "Design". Read the IIS Express notes for more.

I have looked at the "isapi_wgsi module" authors notes at the Google Code Project

which states the module is for "Apache" along with:

Specifically, mod_wsgi is not designed for nor intended for use in over allocated

shared mass virtual hosting setups for different users on a single Apache instance.

For such mass virtual hosting arrangements,

FASTCGI in particular would still be the preferred choice in most situations.

Give the authors notes and information not using the FastCGI module that comes with IIS Express is a Puzzle .

Look at IIS Net Library FastCGI reference http://www.iis.net/ConfigReference/system.webServer/fastCgi 

which will provides the "Handler and script mapping for "Active States" Python Windows installer release.

Please explain more of the requirements and intent. If you need Python Scripting  CGI Programming ?

Martin

Oct 01, 2011 05:08 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Edit: 12-04-2011 Active State Python works.

Martin

Oct 05, 2011 01:22 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

The internals of IIS Express is part of IIS Team and Project Manager (PM).

You should contact Simtan via Email or PM    http://forums.iis.net/members/simtan.aspx .

There is nothing more that I can suggest.

Martin

Oct 07, 2011 01:42 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi Peter,

So what has the IIS Team Project Manager said

about your questions ?

Martin

Oct 16, 2011 10:24 PM|simtan|LINK

Sorry, but I do not think there is an IIS6 compatibility module for IIS Express 7.5. You will need to set up Python with full IIS, which is also available on Windows XP.

Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools

Oct 17, 2011 05:58 PM|PKRoma|LINK

Hi Simon Thanks for your response. I couldn't find any free full IIS 7.x download for Windows XP. Could you correct me if I'm wrong? Windows XP ships with a very old IIS, and so the only IIS 7.x version that I found to install in place of the built-in ancient IIS was IIS Express 7.5, and unfortunately at that point I was blocked by not being able to use Python. As far as IIS6 compatibility for IIS Express 7.5 is concerned, is it possible for you to check with the IIS Express guys as to whether it even figures on their future product roadmap? The benefits would be the enabling of the whole Python-based ecosystem on top of IIS, like the IIS Express team did by embracing PHP. At the moment, it seems that people wishing to experiment with Python on Windows XP (in WSGI mode using isapi_wsgi) must be constrained to downloading one of the other free web server choices like Apache or nginx, and not the Microsoft-provided IIS. Thanks for your help Peter

Oct 17, 2011 06:52 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

For using Python and CGI Microsoft offers FastCGI as an Extension using Windows installer.

Please read IIS FastCGI information http://www.iis.net/download/fastcgi 

download intel X86 32-bit installer or download amd X64 64-bit installer

to match the Windows System.

The remaing questions Simon can answer.

Martin

Oct 19, 2011 11:59 PM|robmcm|LINK

Unfortunately IIS 6 compatibility is not a consideration for IIS 7 Express; Simon is correct that you would need to set up the full version of IIS 7 on a Windows 7 system.

Robert McMurray [MSFT]

Oct 20, 2011 03:34 PM|PKRoma|LINK

Thanks for that definitive sounding answer, Robert. What would you suggest as a replacement for ADSI functionality with IIS Express then, given that I can't avoid using Windows XP? For ease of use, the isapi_wsgi functionality supports self-installation and de-installation of virtual directories programmatically, from within the Python classes themselves. Should the existing ADSI calls that do this for IIS 5, 6 and 7 be replaced with launches of CMD.EXE scripting calls to APPCMD with appropriate parameters? Are there any other choices? Editing the config files programmatically for example? Peter

Nov 20, 2011 07:55 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hello Peter,

This Thread was Started 9/23/2011.

Today is 11/202011.

Edit: 12-02-2011 IIS Express is not designed for this use.

Microsoft Support KB276494 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276494 Python and IIS Server.

Martin