IIS and Node.JS on the same port (80) [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Aug 26, 2011 05:10 PM by Dunadan

• IIS and Node.JS on the same port (80)

Aug 23, 2011 08:08 AM|Dunadan|LINK

Hi, everyone! I am a Newbie concerning IIS administration and I kindly ask You to guide me into the right direction. Currently, I am trying to transfer my UNIX-powered web site to Windows 2008 R2 and IIS7. Everything was ok until transferring of the Node.JS-based chat server , implemented as a stand-alone application . There are two problems: 1) I need a persistent connection between client browser and chat server (approx. 10 000+ online simultaneous connections) 2) I need same domain and port for Web Server and chat server (80) and route requests to chat server via specific URI (for Same Document Origin Policy and office firewalls). Is it possible on Windows? If it is – how?
  • Re: IIS and Node.JS on the same port (80)

Aug 25, 2011 06:57 PM|tjanczuk|LINK

Check out https://github.com/tjanczuk/iisnode. This is a native IIS module specifically designed to allow hosting of node.js applications in IIS.

Aug 26, 2011 04:37 AM|Dunadan|LINK

Thank You! I'll definitely try Your module -- according to description, it'll suit my needs perfectly. BTW, for a temporary solutoin, I've developed the following scheme: NodeJS on port 80 with node-http-proxy and IIS on 8080. Node proxies all requests except calls to daemon directly to IIS. Does Your solution support 'freeing' IIS resources after passing connection to Node? I mean, is it possible to organize 10K+ simulanteneous connections to Node, without drowning Application Pool connection limit?

Aug 26, 2011 01:12 PM|tjanczuk|LINK

iinode does not block threads per request if that is what you are asking. It does allocate some memory per request, but nothing that woudl stand in the way of 10K connections. Having said that I have not done benchmarks yet.

Aug 26, 2011 05:10 PM|Dunadan|LINK

Well, after installation and few test everything goes fine (no, I've not tested with 10k connections yet). Thank You again for such wonderful extension. Tomasz, Your blog definitely needs a 'donate' button :). And NodeJS.org *must* place a note about Your extension.