File locks/DrupalRSS

47 replies

Last post May 15, 2012 10:55 AM by DropPhone

• File locks/Drupal

Jan 12, 2011 03:45 PM|math-hew|LINK

Just wanted to add my 2¢ re: this issue with Wordpress and say that the same issue is also a problem for Drupal. Whenever I go to update a module, I find that I can't delete all of the old version's files because WinCache has a lock on them. I did discover today that I can use wincache_refresh_if_changed to manually unlock the locked files one by one, but that's not a great long-term solution.

WinCache has dramatically improved the performance of my website, so I'm going to deal with this issue the best I can for now and keep my fingers crossed that it gets resolved via an update soon!

drupal

• Re: PHP:-"Wincache-Extension"--"File locks/Drupal"-issues

Jan 12, 2011 04:18 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Thank You for the information.

Create a report at the PHP bugs the PHP site.

The experts can help with your Problems Support Micrsoft or PHP Bugs.

Thanks

Martin  Rasch

PHP IIS wincache microsoft PHP 5.3 errors drupal wincache Extension for php limit cache user memory job file locking sh

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011
  • Re: File locks/Drupal

Nov 04, 2011 11:35 AM|nickvw|LINK

Some users have claimed that the 1.2.614 release fixed this issue on Wordpress, but it definitely still appears using Drupal 7's update manager. Folders can now manually be deleted w/o an app pool recycle, but automatic updates via Drupal still fail with the error 'Cannot remove directory...', so this still exists at some level. Any chance for a fix, or is WinCache dead?

drupal file locking locking

• Re: PHP-Wincache-File locks/Drupal

Nov 04, 2011 12:06 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Report the bugs to the PHP Bugs pecl site.

Martin Rasch

PHP IIS wincache microsoft crash wincache session file backed 1.1 errors repeat declaration drupal wincache Extension for php wincache Extension for php limit cache job file locking logs Wordpress Bugs debugging

Nov 15, 2011 09:01 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Same issue here. Even with the new 1.2.614 build we still have this issue. Along with many others. We are in the processing of leaving Wincache and going to linux / APC. Microsoft, you had us for a bit :), but your lack of commitment sucks.

Nov 16, 2011 11:42 PM|laurin1|LINK

It's been working well for us (except, we could never get the Session cache to work.)

Nov 17, 2011 11:04 AM|nickvw|LINK

Could it be related to IIS version? I can't get 1.2.614 to work on IIS 6 with PHP 5.3.6; the Drupal 7 update manager can't delete directories...it can empty them, but it seems wincache still holds open a file handle at some level.

It is definitely better now, with version 1.2.614; you can manually remove the directories that PHP failed to get in Windows Explorer without an app pool recycle.

Nov 17, 2011 11:20 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hi,

Sorry this can not be answered in the IIS Forums.

You have different versions Drupal  PHP IIS Server and wincache versions.

You can't get 1.2.614 to work on IIS 6

with PHP 5.3.6 FastCGI and PHP 5.3.8

the Drupal 7 update manager can't delete directories 

wincache still holds open a file handle at some level.

It is definitely better now, with version 1.2.614;

you can manually remove the directories that 

PHP failed to get in Windows Explorer without an app pool recycle.

Martin Rasch

PHP IIS wincache microsoft crash download errors drupal wincache Extension for php wincache Extension for php limit cache job file locking logs

Nov 18, 2011 06:06 AM|echoDreamz|LINK

Kudos laurin1 for being able to handle this :). The project was great, but then everyone started disappearing and going on "vacations" or "moving to other projects", now we are left with a nice house with broken foundation and some missing rooms.

Beyond the file / folder locking issue we have had many instances of "the big man" giving me or another tech guy a call at 3AM in the morning saying our site is down and not loading or responding. Disable wincache and the site loads and runs fine for weeks without issues. Enable it again, and within a day or 2 once again, frantic calls saying "site isn't loading again".

We have completely moved off the Wincache / IIS platform onto FreeBSD / Apache with APC, site has been running for 3 weeks and 4 days now without a single restart, or panic call from my boss.

It is sad that a multi-billion dollar company cannot devote the time and resources into its projects that it does, but a bunch of dudes *living in their mom's basement* can create stable and efficient systems. There is no excuse here. Microsoft simply created SQLSRV and Wincache extensions to "gain hype for Server 2008 and IIS 7", now that its over, and Server 2008 is "old news" they are dumping their projects, while the SQL Server extension for PHP still shows growth, the Wincache project is dead as a cat on a freeway.

The one thing we have learned from working with Microsoft products is that if there is no money to made, or they get no $$$ from it, they wont work on it, or support it. Wincache looked promising, the performance of PHP on Windows was looking great, but Microsoft simply does not care, it's not .Net, who cares.

Nov 21, 2011 04:51 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Hi,

Can you provide more details on reproducing this issue?

You can send the details at jennylaw(at)microsoft.com

Thanks,

Jenny

wincache

Nov 21, 2011 04:59 PM|laurin1|LINK

Whoa. Somebody from MS is on the board??? Sweet.

Jenny, can you at least tell us if someone is going to update Wincache to compile under PHP 5.4.0? I am prepared if I have to do it, but it throws tons of error and not knowing the build very well, you know....

Nov 21, 2011 05:01 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

I am sorry, we no longer have any Windows servers to test with. We really don't have time to fiddle with debuggers etc.

Thank you for your response though. Too little too late :(

Nov 21, 2011 05:02 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Hi,

I'm just started to look into the various issues. If this is one of the required things to be done, I'll sure do it. I need some time to get familiar with the code and environment.

Thanks,

Jenny

Nov 21, 2011 05:11 PM|nickvw|LINK

Thanks for responding Jenny, good to see that somebody is on this. I'm seeing file locking problems on PHP 5.3.6 nts vc9 running on IIS 6 in fastcgi mode, with WinCache 1.2.614 when using the Drupal 7 update manager. PHP complains that it can't remove directories (but it empties them ok), and it is possible to delete the emptied directories via Windows Explorer (which was not possible under older versions of WinCache, without an app pool recycle). I don't think Drupal is the culprit, I've seen the same behavior with Wordpress.

Dec 08, 2011 02:33 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Hi,

We have uploaded a development build which includes the fix for the drupal upgrade bug. https://sourceforge.net/projects/wincache/files/development/

Please try out this fix, and let us know whether the issue is resolved in your environment.

Thanks,

Jenny

wincache PHP 5.3

Dec 08, 2011 04:05 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Anything for 5.2 series? I can do some testing if we are going to have regular updates.

Dec 08, 2011 04:23 PM|jennylaw|LINK

I'm working on setting up the 5.2 environment. Will upload the fix as soon as I have it. 

Thanks, Jenny

wincache php 5.2

Dec 12, 2011 12:04 PM|nickvw|LINK

The PHP 5.3 version works great in both my development and production environments. Thanks Jenny!

I'm also looking forward to the 5.2 version.

Jan 12, 2012 01:11 PM|nickvw|LINK

Hey Jenny, any progress on the 5.2 version of rev 1208?

Feb 12, 2012 05:53 PM|Martin Rasch|LINK

Hi Jenny,

Wating on the status

Thanks,

Status Waiting

Mar 01, 2012 11:57 AM|marcuslayton|LINK

Would love to get a 5.2 version of this. The 1.2.614 for 5.2 has a couple of known bugs.

Mar 01, 2012 12:49 PM|jennylaw|LINK

PHP5.2 is no longer supported. I had tried to build the patch for wincache for php 5.2, but wasn't successful. Do you have plans to migrate to 5.3 ?

Mar 01, 2012 01:04 PM|marcuslayton|LINK

we do now :)

thanks for the response!

Mar 01, 2012 01:09 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

You guys are aware that PHP 5.2 is most likely the most widely used version of PHP out there? So just dropping it cold turkey is a poor idea, other versions of Wincache were compiled to support PHP 5.2, this just sounds like eh we tried, wont work, we give up.

Mar 01, 2012 01:19 PM|jennylaw|LINK

It might be, but when the product itself is not supported anymore, it doesn't make sense to spend time on building extensions for it.

That said, I understand many business will probably don't want to migrate for other reasons, and if there is enough requests, we'll make the patch available for 5.2.

Mar 01, 2012 01:22 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

But you just said you couldn't? So which is it? Can't or don't want to, or too lazy too? The Pontiac G6 is not made anymore, but it is an extremely popular car, so GM keeps making parts for it...

I could see a few years down the road, but Wincache is new, and PHP 5.2 just recently went dark on development, its not like PHP 4 and many many years out of support.

This is EXACTLY why we completely dropped Microsoft products and went to Linux. APC is a stable solution and works very well, and has dedicated developers. Microsoft has no stability with products that don't earn them money (which I understand), but if you are going to go through with it a make a product, and advertise it, and market it, why stop supporting it? Why stop development on it? This project (and the WebsitePanel) project just magically kill developers, "going on vacations" that never end, "moving to other projects" and other excuses. You cannot make a product, gear it towards business use, and then just say eh and leave it.

Mar 01, 2012 01:28 PM|laurin1|LINK

Easy there, they don't have a lot of resources to support this product as it is and we want MS to keep providing what they can....

Mar 01, 2012 01:29 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Are you kidding me? No, you and I dont have enough resources. Microsoft has PLENTY of resources. They just dont give a crap to support something that costs them money, but does not earn them anything.

They could easily roll this into the IIS team (since this is related to PHP and FastCGI, and PHP / FastCGI coincides with IIS) and get development rolling and get new features / fixes out the door.

Just as the SQLSRV extensions could be handled by the SQL Server team.

I still truly and honestly believe Wincache, FastCGI, and SQL Server extensions for PHP was nothing more than a marketing stunt, a PR stunt to get Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 hyped up, and to gain market share with IIS 7. Now that Server 2008 is out the door and old news, they dont care. They did the same thing with DotNetPanel, Server 2008 / IIS7 came out, they bought it, now... It's a Google+ virtual ghost town of Microsoft support. (scratch that, support is available in typical Microsoft fashion, you want it, PAY for it).

Like "oh we did most of the work". Here is your brand new car, but you have to put the wheels on, add oil, you may need to fix some alignment issues etc. If you want us to do it, you have to pay, or complain enough to them that they finally go OK FINE, we will do the alignment for you, BUT that is it.

Mar 01, 2012 01:35 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Fair enough. You have a point, its true that PHP5.2 wasn't out of support for long. I agree that we have to build a patch for this issue for PHP5.2.

Mar 01, 2012 01:40 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Thank you Jenny.

I am not trying to be mean, but Microsoft really did a number on their users. You guys have always had a decent track record with support, but this time, you tossed out the pretty rug, waited for everyone to jump on it, then ripped it out from under us.

We spent over 3 months developing a system around Wincache, Microsoft was all PHP rocks this, PHP is awesome on IIS7, Wincache this, Wincache that, even had live meetings and podcasts about how amazing Wincache is, we thought for sure this would be a good investment, then everyone started taking infinite vacations and leaving the users to regret the decision.

You guys are lucky to have support from other members like @laurin1.

Mar 01, 2012 01:51 PM|nickvw|LINK

It should be pointed out that most control panel software such as cPanel and Plesk lock you in to a particular PHP version, and it is usually badly out of date. Both of those are running 5.2 and there isn't a clear timeframe for 5.3 adoption.

That's the only reason my organization still uses 5.2; I bet many are in the same boat.

Mar 01, 2012 01:56 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

Glad I am not the only one that does not see the logic in dropping support for PHP 5.2...

Mar 01, 2012 02:21 PM|laurin1|LINK

echoDreamz, I don't disagree with you about the lack of support that MS has provided for this product for the last year+. In fact, if you will read my posts, I have argued on that side of the fence for quite some time.

What I mean was MS is not providing a lot of resources to support the product and I was am thankful they are doing something, because at one point it did appear MS was not going to provide ANY support (some is better than none for us, because if MS doens't work on this product, then I am going to HAVE to....as we are not about to abandon it now.)

Mar 01, 2012 02:23 PM|echoDreamz|LINK

laurin1, my apologies :) I misunderstood what you meant. I also want them to be part of this, be active (like they were when this started). I don't want weekly releases or anything, just some releases every month or so with fixes, improvements etc. Not 1 release, go silent for months and months, then all of a sudden pop up again. We need dedication. I wish I knew C more, I would help out :(.

Mar 01, 2012 02:28 PM|laurin1|LINK

I've successfully compiled it (once), but it's tricky. I tried to compile it for 5.4...lots of errors. Hope I don't have to go down that road. I don't believe it's Ms. Law's fault that support it lacking - I'm sure it was a corporate decision (or lack of one.)

Mar 01, 2012 06:09 PM|marcuslayton|LINK

I am also happy that is it getting attention.

Ms. Law - If you are taking a list of to do items - the various cache sized need to be able to be increased. version 1.2.614 for 5.3 had the ability to change the size - but that apparently was removed - 1.2.1208 doesn't have that ability.

Mar 01, 2012 09:03 PM|wjlrkjjv|LINK

So, 5.4 is out now, any chance to get an updated wincache soon?

Apr 23, 2012 02:14 PM|jennylaw|LINK

I finally have got 5.2 to build. I am now onto testing the fix, and will update the thread when the patch is ready.

Apr 25, 2012 12:58 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Hi all,

The package for 5.2 is now available for download at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincache/files/development/wincache-1.2.1208-dev-5.2-nts-vc6-x86.exe/download

I've also refreshed the package for 5.3 which includes a fix for a bug introduced by the previous package.

Thanks, Jenny 

PHP php 5.2 PHP 5.3 wincache Extension for php

Apr 25, 2012 01:52 PM|marcuslayton|LINK

Thanks Jenny - Excited that wincache is continuing to be developed.

I just tried the new 5.3 version - and it still has the 85 meg max total user cache limit. Is that something that is going to get changed?

Many on the boards, including myself, quickly run out of space and need much more. In a previous version, that limit was removed and more memory could be used, however in the last 2 releases, the limit was put back in.

~Mark

Apr 25, 2012 01:58 PM|nickvw|LINK

Thank you very much Jenny for getting this out there. The 5.2 version seems to be working correctly and fixes the file locking issues in previous versions.

Apr 25, 2012 02:08 PM|jennylaw|LINK

Hi Mark, Looking at the code (from the official pecl site), it seems like the max user size was always 85 MB. I don't have much context on whether this can be changed. I will ask around and update you.

Thanks,

Jenny 

Apr 25, 2012 02:31 PM|marcuslayton|LINK

Thanks Jenny - Just for reference i am using wincache-1.2.614-dev-5.3-nts-vc9-x86 - have the user cache set to 250 (wincache.ucachesize=250 in the php.ini), and it is honoring the 250 meg in the user cache.

~Mark

Apr 25, 2012 02:38 PM|jennylaw|LINK

I spoke to my team here, and it seems we might have missed a check-in to update the max cache size. I'll rebuilt a patch with that in (and check that fix in), and update this thread when the patch is ready. 

Thanks,

Jenny

Apr 25, 2012 03:18 PM|marcuslayton|LINK

most excellent - some of the others sounded like they were needing 1 and 2 gig or larger sizes available - thank you!

Apr 25, 2012 04:55 PM|laurin1|LINK

The max available with the version that allowed a large checkin is 1000MB.

May 10, 2012 04:46 PM|Jan Ehrhardt|LINK

jennylaw

I spoke to my team here, and it seems we might have missed a check-in to update the max cache size. I'll rebuilt a patch with that in (and check that fix in), and update this thread when the patch is ready.

Is your team greater than [url=http://grokbase.com/t/php/php-internals/123fzf3vxg/q-zend-handle-stream-and-wincache-extension-on-php-5-4]Eric Stenson[/url] ;)

Can you tell him the max cache size under PHP 5.4 is 934 MB and under PHP5.3 930 MB, using the 1.3.0RC1 sources? See http://forums.iis.net/p/1187707/2020811.aspx#2020811

And, while he is at it, he might as well change the 'memcache' in config.w32 into 'wincache'
    http://svn.php.net/viewvc/pecl/wincache/trunk/config.w32?r1=324182&r2=324181&pathrev=324182

BTW: in PHP 5.4 compiled with x64 the max size is 2046MB for all caches separately. Only for Apache users...

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Re: File locks/Drupal

May 15, 2012 10:55 AM|DropPhone|LINK

Jan Ehrhardt

And, while he is at it, he might as well change the 'memcache' in config.w32 into 'wincache'
    http://svn.php.net/viewvc/pecl/wincache/trunk/config.w32?r1=324182&r2=324181&pathrev=324182

Jan--

FYI, Pierre has checked in the fix to the trunk.  Should be at revision 325700.

Thx!

--E.