Expression Encoder 4 Pro (without codecs) [Answered]RSS

12 replies

Last post Apr 03, 2011 02:34 PM by davidsackstein

• Expression Encoder 4 Pro (without codecs)

Aug 25, 2010 01:48 PM|jolliff|LINK

Hello, I'm in need of some assistance with regard to encoding content with the H.264 profiles in Expression Encoder 4 Pro. I've installed 4 Pro off a Expression Studio Ultimate CD, which was purchased from my campus software distribution group. I'm in the process of trying to slim down my encoded projects, and keep the file size to a minimum. I've only been able to encode VC-1 content, as when selecting the H.264 profiles it states "This functionality is only available in the fully-featured Expression Encoder Pro." (with a link to Purchase the product online). As I mentioned, EE4 Pro was installed from EE Studio Ultimate, and when checking the About -> Expression Encoder, it states that the product is registered, activated, and the serial shows, however it displays "Expression Encoder 4 Pro (without codecs)". After looking around the forums, and using some common sense, it seems that the ultimate install did not install the necessary codecs, to allow for H.264 encoding. Results from google searches indicate that there is a standalone version of EE4 Pro for $199 from MS's store that DOES include the codecs. When trying to purchase the standalone product from their website (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Purchase.aspx) The link re-directs you to the MS store home page. Searches for the product give no results for EE4 Pro. Calling MS directly was no help, as the customer service rep didn't even know EE4 was out, and "they couldn't help because it's not available". My next path was to contact MS customer service, which resulted in being bumped to level two support, where they are baffled at the lack of codecs from an ultimate edition, and lack of an option to purchase the standalone version, where it clearly gives an option on Expressions MS purchase page. I don't believe there is an academic version that would be limited, as when I talked with the MS technicians, they were of the understanding that Ultimate is ultimate and should have the full version of 4 Pro included. Any thoughts? I'm in the process of replacing our streaming server, and have this one major road bump delaying the project. I'm under a tight deadline and have nearly exhausted all resources. Thanks! Jason

EE4 Pro without codecs

• Re: Expression Encoder 4 Pro (without codecs)

Aug 31, 2010 05:29 PM|foot13|LINK

While it won't help you, you are not alone. We purchased copies of Expression Studio Ultimate (via Corporate Agreement) and have the same problem. We, too, tried going the purchase route and ran into the the same issues. We'll keep you in mind if we find out anything on our end.

Aug 31, 2010 05:38 PM|jolliff|LINK

After exhausting just about every resource I had, including level two MS tech support, I was able to acquire the correct version through my campus (I work at a university) software distribution group. They somehow found the correct version within their resources, and was baffled at why there are two versions of Pro. It's upsetting that MS was not able to help me and still hasn't found a solution. Their website says it's available for purchase, but isn't. Their customer support knows nothing of the product, thinking EE3 is the latest product for sale, and that tech support wasn't able to provide a path to purchasing the software. I think it all comes down to licensing with the codecs, and not many know two versions exist, so they're knowledge of how to acquire the correct version is limited. MS has not made it apparent how to sort through the mess. I wish you the best of luck in your searches!

Aug 31, 2010 06:00 PM|DBristol|LINK

Aug 31, 2010 08:20 PM|Emily Anderson|LINK

Thanks for your interest in Expression Encoder.  We have two version of Expression Encoder 4: The first is included in Expression Ultimate purchased through volume licensing, MSDN, and Bizspark, and does not include royalty-bearing codecs.  The second version is included in Expression Ultimate purchased through retail channels, and does include the codecs. The reason for needing two product versions is due to codec redistribution and reporting requirements. Unfortunately we’ve experienced some technical issues with MS store, but we expect the problems to be resolved in the next 48 hours and Encoder to be available again before the end of the week.

Sep 01, 2010 10:56 AM|jolliff|LINK

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification and update, Emily!

Sep 24, 2010 03:38 PM|carton132|LINK

Reread thread and answered my own question :-)

Oct 29, 2010 04:21 AM|davidsackstein|LINK

Hi Emily

My company ordered the EE4 Pro Ultimate online with their MSDN account.

I want to develop a smooth streaming application using the SDK.

I am able to create smooth streaming streams with the encoder application but not with the SDK.

Using the SDK, when setting the OutputFormat to MP4OutputFormat I get the "not a fully featured" error.

From Help About on the encoder application I see that it is fully licensed - but without codecs.

What can I do to enable smooth streaming using the SDK?

Thanks

David

Live Smooth Streaming IIS Media Services Encoder 4 EE4 Pro expression encoder 4 SmoothStreaming

Oct 29, 2010 01:27 PM|chriskno|LINK

Hi David,

The encoder app and SDK are the same in terms of the feature offering, so this is not SDK-specific.  I'm guessing that what you are creating from the EE4 application UI are VC-1 Smooth Streaming files.  Since you are using the MSDN "Pro without codecs" version, you should not be able to create H.264 files from the UI, either. 

Unfortunately, you will need to upgrade to the "Pro" version to get H.264 codec support.  An upgrade path will be available for going from the MSDN "Pro without Codecs" version to the full "Pro" version shortly.  More information about an upgrade path is scheduled to be available on this thread within the next week or so: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/encoder/thread/2f64fdbe-6af9-45fe-9f02-2ad7bc1b0966.

Hope this helps...

-Chris

Smooth Streaming H.264 expression encoder 4

Chris Knowlton (Microsoft alumnus)

Did my post answer your question? If so, please "Mark as Answer".

Oct 30, 2010 04:36 PM|davidsackstein|LINK

Hi Chris,

Thanks. Yes, this clarifies the issue a little.

David

Oct 31, 2010 02:51 AM|chriskno|LINK

Hi David,

Maybe this new post from the Expression Encoder team about a new codec upgrade option available for MSDN users will help a little bit more...

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/encoder/thread/aee70a81-bb6f-4b0e-82df-57a51b60a5a0

-Chris

Smooth Streaming H.264 expression encoder 4 upgrade

Chris Knowlton (Microsoft alumnus)

Did my post answer your question? If so, please "Mark as Answer".

Mar 25, 2011 06:17 AM|ranjik2001|LINK

I am working on a application where i need to live stream and broadcast videos.I am using .net 4.0,Silverlight 4.0 and Expression Encoder 4 with IIS smooth streaming.I tried to add Expression encoder dll into my Silverlight application,where i thrown with exception.How can i make use of Expression encoder to streamcode,en and publish live video.

Bitrate throttling Smooth Streaming Bit Rate Throttling Live Smooth Streaming IIS Media Services Media Services Silverlight Sliverlight Silverlight Media Framework live IIS Smooth Streaming Encoder 4 Audio IIS Smooth Streaming Client adaptive streaming Broadcasting IIS 7 Media Services Silverlight Publishing Point Push asp.net expression encoder 4 Expression Encoderssion Encoder 4 codec Smooth Multicast streaming video Adaptive player live streaming Silverlight Publishing Point Push

Ranjith Kumar

Apr 03, 2011 02:34 PM|davidsackstein|LINK

Hi ranjik2001,

You cant access Expression Encoder from Silverlight, because it requires privileges Silverlight doesnt have (and EE requires server side CLR 4.0 which Silverlight's doesnt have).

I recommend you use WCF to expose the functionality you need from Expression Encoder and call the service from your Silverlight client.

David

expression encoder 4