IIS won't start; Error 5010: The object already exists. [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Sep 25, 2013 08:41 AM by navyjax2

• IIS won't start; Error 5010: The object already exists.

Apr 17, 2010 03:04 PM|The Deep North|LINK

The IIS Admin service on our server won't start...we get error 5010: The object already exists when we try.

We are on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 with IIS 6.0.  Logged in as the local administrator.  The server is in a workgroup rather than in a domain.

Does anyone know what 5010 means? 

Further, when I go to check the IIS installation (to perhaps try to reinstall), when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs..when I click on Add/Remove Windows Components, nothing happens so I can't see the windows components.

Thanks,

The Deep North

• Re: IIS won't start; Error 5010: The object already exists.

Apr 19, 2010 06:13 AM|lextm|LINK

It is very likely that IIS metabase is corrupt now. Usually this server might shut down abnomally and lead to such an issue.

Since you cannot do reinstallation easily now, you may open a support case via http://support.microsoft.com

Regards,

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Apr 19, 2010 08:22 AM|qbernard|LINK

Can you post the complete event log here ?

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Apr 24, 2010 02:31 PM|The Deep North|LINK

I can't get to the event logs right now.  We are going to try to do a Repair install of the OS (Windows Server 2003 R2) and see if we can open Add/Remove Windows Components.  If we can, then we'll try reinstalling IIS.

If the repair install doesn't work, we are probably going to reload the whole server :(

Thanks,

The Deep North

May 08, 2010 04:06 AM|qbernard|LINK

Errr.. so how was the OS repair?
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Sep 25, 2013 08:41 AM|navyjax2|LINK

This happened to me while following the advice of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294305, which said if we have proxy servers, to enter a domain admin account for the account to run the IIS Admin service.  I used an account that was a local Admin with some elevated rights on the domain (like ability to join/disjoin computers to/from the domain, create/delete accounts, etc.), thinking this may be enough.  Problem was the IIS Admin service wouldn't start, then (got the error from this thread).  When I swapped it back to the LocalService, I could start IIS Admin and the other IIS dependencies (W3SVC, HTTP SSL) again (though I had not solved my original problem).  Something to think about, at least.  Uninstalling/re-installing IIS is not always necessary for things like this, but admittedly is a quicker solution sometimes than chasing these down, if someone doesn't know where to look.