Reverse proxy question [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Jul 16, 2010 12:28 AM by CarlosAg

• Reverse proxy question

Apr 01, 2010 03:09 PM|RWB1000|LINK

I'm using IIS 7 with the URL Rewrite Module and have a default website, say: www.mysite.com.  I need to have our customers access the www.mysite.com/sub-company1, www.mysite.com/sub-company2 etc for uniformity, but get the actual data for the web pages from completely different servers on the Internet.  There is no data for those subfolders on the www.mysite.com webserver.  So, I need to have people who type  www.mysite.com/sub-company1, actually see the web pages from an external server, say www.mycompany.com, without having the www.mysite.com/sub-company1 part of the URL in the browser window change.  I do not want to do this with IFrames since we can't use direct links to any of the pages url masked with IFrames.

It seems no matter how I try to address the problem with the sub-company1 subfolders, I can't get the page to display correctly.  The closest I can get is to have most of the data from the external website displayed, but the formatting is all wrong.  It seems somehow the way I configured the reverse proxy rule that the subfolders are not handled correctly. 

I can create individual websites on the same server and the proxied web pages display correctly.  The problems is handling the subfolders.  Can anyone help me accomplish this?  I'm not even sure if I need to create the rewrite rules at the default web site level, or at the folder level.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: Reverse proxy question

Apr 02, 2010 12:13 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

I thought this was good material for a small blog post where I could explain why the problems in the formatting and the display are happening. And also how to implement something like this, take a look at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/carlosag/archive/2010/04/02/setting-up-a-reverse-proxy-using-iis-url-rewrite-and-arr.aspx

Apr 02, 2010 01:17 PM|RWB1000|LINK

Unbelievable...this is EXACTLY what I needed to do, and I got it working within minutes thanks to you!  Thanks again!

Jul 14, 2010 08:47 AM|bbcompent1|LINK

Carlos, I am pretty sure that the answer to my question is yes but I have to ask anyway. Can this reverse proxy work on sites that are Apache as well as others?

Mark as answer posts that helped you.

Jul 16, 2010 12:28 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

Yes, it can work with any HTTP server, including Apache or any other.